Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
samato

Tires - 100/90-16 instead of 110/90-16???

I read in another post that someone is considering using a 100/90-16 front tire instead of the factory spec of 110/90-16. Can anyone comment on this in terms of safety, performance, durability or any other issues this could cause. If this is a reasonable thing to do I'd be happy because I saw in a Chaparral Motorsports catalog the following prices for Kenda K671 Cruiser St Tires:

100/90-16 - $46.85
130/90-15 - $49.85

At the moment I really only need a rear tire but I'm worried about being able to find a matching front later plus unless I buy a Metzler ME77 for the rear it's not going to match my front anyway. I've heard that can be a bad thing but I have no experience of my own with this.

Basically, I'm looking for any advice as to what I should do. I know I need a rear tire right away (it's really worn) but I don't know anything else really. I'm planning on learning to do all my own basic maintenance on this bike but I really know almost nothing right now.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Sarris

Tires

I feel as though you should use the sizes recommended by Suzuki. Search the site for tires and you'll find a herd of discussion on this subject.

Check here, it's about halfway down. http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=911&highlight=

I put Pirellis on my GZ in the mfgr's recommended sizes.

:rawk:
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
samato

Yeah, I guess it never really makes sense to deviate from the manufacturers recommendations. It just sucks that Cheng Shin won't be making street tires after this year as I haven't been able to find other inexpensive matching sets in the right sizes.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Going with a 100\90-16 up front will throw your speedometer off a bit (you'll be going slower than indicated) and will make the front of the bike feel a little bit lighter and more willing to go into turns. It will also lower the front end about 4.5mm

I don't how experienced a rider you are but it really shouldn't be too bad. Still, I haven't done it so I just don't know and I can't come right out and say "Do it! You'll love it! Nothing bad can happen."

Please note, I don't yet have any personal experience and my need for new tires is quite a ways off but I plan on going with a smaller profile front tire when that time comes.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
...... but I plan on going with a smaller profile front tire when that time comes.
Why? :??:

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

To try it out. No one else has.

It might be nice for current & future owners to know what's available when it comes time to buy tires. There are currently 2 options if you want your tires to match. Within the next year, there will be one option, as Cheng Shin is going the way of the Dinosaur. I don't know about you but I like having more than one option.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
Within the next year, there will be one option, as Cheng Shin is going the way of the Dinosaur.
I have 2 questions about that.

Are you saying that aside from C.S. , there is only ONE company that makes tires in our stock size. If so, how did you arrive at that conclusion?

Secondly, the wording of the C.S. announcement gives me some pause. It says something like: We will stop making "street and highway only" tires. What exactly does that mean? Will they still have tires that fit the GZ but with some other kind of designation......like street and track? I don't think we know at this point.

I DO admire your willingness to take a chance. I don't think I would unless I have to.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I've been compiling a list of all available tire options that will fit our bike in stock and non-stock sizes (100\90-16)

As far as I can see, the only currently available options, for a matching set of tires, are the Dunlop D404s and the ChengShins.

That's it.

IF ChengShin does away with their street tires, there will be, as I mentioned, only one option.

I appreciate the admiration
Old 07-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
samato

Well, the days of having only one option have arrived. I can't find Cheng Shins in stock anywhere at the moment (at least not front and rear). See my post here if interested (bottom of page 2):

http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.p...tires&start=15
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #10
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
Easy Rider,
C.S. makes a wide variety of off road and I think ATV tires. It sounds like they are not going to make "on road" tires anymore.