Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
BillInGA

Atlanta to Denver - Tip Planning

I'm just under two weeks out from my trip to Colorado, so I thought I'd share some of my trip planning with you.

I plan on taking mainly state / federal highways. Interstates will be unavoidable and actually preferable transiting larger metro areas: primarily Memphis and Denver. You can see my planned route here: Atlanta to Denver

I'm planning on about 500 miles per day. Ambitious, I know, but I've done a test ride of 500+ miles (Atlanta to Nashville and return) and I'm confident that it's doable for me. If not, or in case of weather / mechanical issues, I have a few days of flexibility built in to my schedule.

I'm taking my "new" bike, a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. I've been going over it thoroughly, checking it out mechanically and performing maintenance. Over the weekend I did the following: cleaned air cleaner element; inspected brake pads & linings for wear; adjusted brake play; adjusted clutch & inspected clutch cable; changed coolant; inspected radiator hoses & connections; changed oil & filter; inspected, cleaned & adjusted spark plugs; inspected throttle play; inspected tire wear, pressure & age; and, finally, adjusted valve clearance.

The valve clearance was a lot of work. Here's what you have to do to get the the valves: remove seat; remove fuel tank; drain coolant; remove coolant reservoir tank; remove radiator fan; remove coolant and breather hoses; remove valve cover. Whew! All but one of the valves were within spec. One exhaust valve was a little tight. While I had the bike apart I took the opportunity to do a lot of cleaning.

Still on my To Do list: check battery electrolyte level; change brake fluid; check chain & sprockets for wear; clean, lubricate and adjust chain; tighten nuts, bolts & fasteners, spare bulbs & fuses; and lubricate several areas. Oh, and I still have those nasty mangled mufflers to deal with, but I think I have a plan for them.

I have to rework my packing list since I won't be taking my tank bag - it doesn't work with the tank-mounted instruments. I'll post my packing list later today.

Bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Atlanta to Denver - Tip Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Still on my To Do list: check battery electrolyte level; change brake fluid;
How's the tires ?? I ended up changing my front when I was down your way last. I got lucky and it only set me back an hour; could have been much worse.

As for maintenance prior to a trip.......I think you should DO the things that need to be done and DON'T do things that don't really need to be........like messing with the brake fluid. That could turn into a hassle that you don't need right now and it is HIGHLY unlikely that the old fluid will cause you any problem in the next month.

Battery: Do you know the age on it ? A conventional wet cell is really only good for about 3 years even if it is well cared for. An AGM type is highly recommended......especially if you take the caps off and the water level is very low.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
BillInGA

Tires are in good shape. I'll be checking the battery in the next few days. Does anyone know if there is a manufacture date on batteries? I will, of course, check once the battery is pulled for inspection.

As for the brake fluid, the sight glass on the master reservoir is crazed and I have no idea how much brake fluid is in the system. If the fluid level is low then I'll go ahead and replace the brake fluid. Otherwise I may just leave it as is for the time being.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
3-D Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
I'll be checking the battery in the next few days. Does anyone know if there is a manufacture date on batteries? I will, of course, check once the battery is pulled for inspection.
There are far to many variables for a manufacture date to have much, if any, meaning. Check out the "Lifespan of Batteries", and "State of Charge" on this site for some useful info:
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
BillInGA

Here is my gear list and tool kit. Many thanks to BabBob and others, whose gear lists I have blatantly plagiarized.

Code:
Gear List

Location        Category        Item
Saddle Bag      Maintenance     Chain Lube
Saddle Bag      Repair          Cable Ties
Saddle Bag      Repair          Shop Rag
Saddle Bag      Repair          Tool Kit
Saddle Bag      Riding Gear     Rain Gear
Saddle Bag      Riding Gear     RainX
Saddle Bag      Security        Lock & Cable
Saddle Bag      Utility         4x6 Thick Plastic Sheeting
Saddle Bag      Utility         Extra Bungee Cords
Saddle Bag      Utility         Large Heavy Trash Bags
Saddle Bag      Utility         Lightweight Bike Cover
Saddle Bag      Utility         Matches
Saddle Bag      Utility         Space Blanket
Suitcase        Stuff           Clothes
Suitcase        Stuff           DOP Kit
Suitcase        Stuff           Laptop
Tail            Luggage         Suitcase
Tail            Luggage         Tail Bag
Tail Bag        Entertainment   Camera
Tail Bag        Entertainment   Mini Tripod
Tail Bag        Entertainment   iPod
Tail Bag        Navigation      Maps
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Fleece Pullover
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Lip Balm
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Small Towel
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Spare Gloves
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Sunglasses
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Sunscreen
Tail Bag        Riding Gear     Walking Shoes
Tail Bag        Utility         Air Pressure Guage
Tail Bag        Utility         Bandanna
Tail Bag        Utility         Gallon-size Zip-Loc Bags
Tail Bag        Utility         Headlamp
Tail Bag        Utility         Notebook
Tail Bag        Utility         Pen
Tail Bag        Utility         Sidestand Base (4" dia plywood)
Tail Bag        Utility         Spare Batteries
Tail Bag        Utility         Travel-size Kleenex
Tool CompartmentRiding Gear     Document Bag
Windshield      Navigation      GPS
Worn            Navigation      iPhone
Worn            Riding Gear     CamelBak

Took Kit Items

12 Volt Continuity Tester
4 foot fuel line
Air Pump
Combination Wrench, 8 mm
Combination Wrench, 10 mm
Combination Wrench, 12 mm
Combination Wrench, 14 mm
Combination Wrench, 17 mm
Cotter Pins
Duct Tape
Electrical Tape
Green Slime
Levers
Metrick Allen Wrenches
Multimeter
Multi-tool
Pliers Diagonal 6 Inch (Dikes)
Pliers Neeldle Nose 6 Inch
Schematics
Screw Drivers
Socket Set
Spare Bulbs & Fuses
Spark Plug Wrench
Tape Measure
Tool Bag
Vise Grip
The distribution of gear is not yet finalized. I had to juggle some things around on paper with the loss of the tank bag (it won't work on the Vulcan's tank). I have my doubts as to whether everything I've moved to the tail bag will actually fit. I'll be doing a full dress test ride this weekend to work out any bugs in my planning.

Edited for typos.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
dhgeyer

Bill,

Well, you're doing all the right planning and preparing. Good for you! I'm very glad that you are doing complete maintenance on the bike. One question: do you know how to read the DOT codes on the tires to determine exactly when they were made? If not, I can tell you. They start to lose their traction after about 5 years and, ideally, should be replaced regardless of their visual condition. Did you check the ends of the clutch cable? That's where they tend to break - right at the ends or a couple of inches from the lever if your cable goes through an elbow near the lever.

In my humble opinion, and based on what countless others have told me in person and on other fora, you are also making the "classic" first tour mistake. I know I did! Which is: taking a lot more stuff than you will need or use. As long as the bike will move under the load, and you can pack it safely, it's not a big deal. The only downside is that it complicates the task of unpacking at night and repacking in the morning. I will just point out here that my bike has two very large lockable sidebags and a very large topcase, plus I did have a small tankbag. And your list has about twice as much stuff on it as I took all the way across the country and back. I don't mean to criticize. I did the same thing on my first few tours, and only over a period of time did I pare it down to what works best for me. Everyone goes through that.

I'll make a couple of suggestions. Make a mental list of what repairs are most likely to be needed that you could actually do by the side of the road. Then, very carefully, tool by tool and bit by bit (I mean literally the size of each bit) take only what would be needed for those jobs. If you're bringing sockets and a driver, why combination wrenches in addition? How many Allen head fittings does the bike have? If only three or four are needed, consider hex bits for the socket driver instead of a whole set of Allen wrenches. That will cut your tool kit considerably. Tools are about the heaviest item you will carry. What's the tape measure for? Vise grips? Ewwww. A small amount of duct tape rolled onto something you're taking anyway is a good idea. Taking a whole roll is overkill.

Most motorcycle places have small plastic sidestand pads, better than 4" plywood.

Get on the web and find out about Rideon TPS instead of Slime. Much better than Slime, and you put it in the tires before you leave, saving space. And it seals the leak before you lose much air. You just need to check tires frequently, as you could have a nail and not know it with that stuff in your tires.

Two pairs of footgear are a luxury. I actually did manage to take running shoes in addition to my riding boots on my last trip, but they were about the most expensive item (in terms of space) that I did take. On most trips I ride in hiking boots, which suffice for walking. Then I carry some kind of overboot rain protectors, which are much smaller and lighter than a whole pair of shoes. Just a thought.

I actually carry three pairs of gloves: warm, cool, and rain. For rain I carry a pair of those bright orange lineman's gloves. I've had them for 8 years, and they are the only gloves I've ever had that actually keep my hands dry.

I've never carried a shop rag. I always start out with a small supply of folded up paper towels. As the trip progresses I replace them with paper napkins and paper towels from restrooms as needed. Lighter and more compact and useful for more things.

You've got room for a tripod on a motorcycle trip? Must be a small one. I've never needed one for the kind of photography I tend to do on a motorcycle trip. Just a thought. I don't know what kind of pictures you plan to take.

Again, I don't mean to argue or criticize. In the end everyone goes through the process of taking too much stuff the first time and then paring it down on future trips. And it's a personal thing, too. What I end up with in my kit after 10 trips won't be the same as what you end up with.

Good luck! And safe riding.

One last thought. Five hundred miles for one or even two days is one thing. Day after day after day is quite another. Some people do it and still manage to enjoy themselves, but not many that I've talked to. I would not plan that pace on my first trip out.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

I remember it well. The thrill and excitment of packing for my first long ride. Got it all wrong of course but I did learn a few things. First and foremost.............protect the rider. Proper clothing for a variety of conditions. Had none and suffered beyond all reason. Each one of us has a special itch to scratch when packing but there is my one rule now. Protect the rider and the trip will be much more enjoyable. This includes the comfort factor which is a bigger factor as we get older. Merino wool socks in the boots are wonderful and never get stinky. Talcum powder in the shorts and socks are great. We both have a bala clava now in case of a noticeable drop in temps. Amazing difference in comfort when a cold draft is stopped at the neckline. Bicycle shorts make a difference too. I just wear them under my riding pants. Mesh riding gear and a rain suit backed up by insulated electric gear will be the majority of our riding gear this year. Dress for comfort and a variety of weather.
The bike. If you have done a bunch of maintenance and are confident in the bike's ability to get there and back then just get on and ride. Bikes are mighty reliable and only the rider suffers from fatigue. Take a bunch of selected tools but not enough to rebuild the bike from scratch.
We leave for the Yukon Aug 3 so time to get my act together and start making a list.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
BillInGA

Dave,

Thanks for the critique. You provide very good (and recent) insight and I value your input. I am an admitted gear geek and I have a history of overpacking.

I have been collecting the tools I have used for all the maintenance I have been doing and using that experience to build the took kit. I will probably do as you suggest regarding the socket set and bring only the sockets and drivers I need as the full set is a bit bulky.

As to your other specific comments:
* Combination wrenches - Some bolts are inaccessible with a socket and a wrench is the only way to go.
* Allen wrenches - They're in their own zip-top pouch and not that bulky, so I'll take them all rather that split up the set.
* Tape measure - What's if for? Don't know. It was on someone's list and I have a small 12' tape, so I figured "why not?"
* Vise-grips - Ewww, yes, but they work on stripped fasteners.
* Duct tape - Ok, now you're getting into minimalist backpacker territory. I have a half-used roll that I'll be taking.
* 4" diameter plywood - I already have it and it's one less thing to get.
* Rideon TPS - I've done the research and come to the conclusion that, for me, it doesn't offer enough protection for tubed tires. If I had tubeless tires I would definitely use it.
* Shoes - I'm actually taking 3 pairs: cowboy boots (worn while riding), running shoes and dress shoes (to go with my suit). I'm going back to Colorado for my parent's 50th anniversary party and need appropriate attire.
* I like your idea with the napkins - I'm going to steal it.
* Tripod - It's a small backpacking tripod. I've had if for a few years but have never had occasion to use it. I plan on getting at least one self portrait during the trip.

One thing I forgot to include on my gear list is a first aid kit - don't leave home without it.

Ultimately, I am limited by packing space and weight. I have 225 lbs of cargo capacity, but I won't be taking even half of that. As for space, I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to fit everything into the bags I'm planning to use. Will I use everything I take? I certainly hope not! But I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Bill
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
BillInGA

WW,

Thanks for the input and best of luck on your Yukon trip! You'll be gone before I get back.

My base riding gear consists of smartwool socks, long sleeve UnderArmor Heatgear wicking top, wicking boxer briefs, jeans, mesh jacket and cowboy boots. Temperatures along the route average from highs in the low 90' to lows in the high 60's. If I start to get cool I can add the windbreaker liner for my jacket, fleece pullover, and my rain gear.

I carry three pairs of gloves: cold weather (waterproof), warm weather (mesh and vented) and medium weather (leather). I like your idea of using a balaclava. I have one made of polypro and I may just toss it in. I've heard of people wearing bicycling short while touring; do they really help that much? I may give them a try on my test ride this weekend.

Bill
Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Yup, bicycle shorts do work. Originally bought then for my pedal bike but they are nice on the Vstrom. Vise grips are a dynamite tool. Anyone ever snap off a shifter ? The grips will double as a shifter in many cases. Same for a brake pedal or lever with luck. Just snap them on real tight and say a prayer to your Guardian Angel. Oh ya, also carry a spare valve core just in case. I did have a flat one day and it was the valve core going south. And more than one flashlight if you have the room. A Garrity LED flashlight is great and lasts a long time.

I also tend to overpack but I'm getting better. I gave up packing T-shirts because I always buy sovenier T's on the way. Haven't found sovenier shorts yet. :lol: