Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 05-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Tranquility

Installing Saddlebags

Okay, technically speaking, installing saddlebags is not a difficult thing to do. The instructions that come with the supports are good enough, and the saddlebags themselves are pretty self-explanatory (which is good since there are no instructions that come with them anyway). But OMG, unless you have have tiny little hands and skinny little arms, the install process is nothing short of a circus act!

I don't have any specific instructions that haven't already been posted elsewhere, and I did read a post that already mentions the limited working space under the fender but I will offer one piece of advice: Don't be in a hurry! What should take no more than 1/2 an hour took me upwards of two hours (including a couple walk-away-before-I-get-really-pi&&ed-off breaks). Of course, I AM a bike newbie, inexperienced with all things motorcycle ... Nahhhh, I stand by my advice. It's an easy job, if you're a stick-person. :-)

Oh, and I needed to dig up a couple extra washers. The ones provided with the supports were not quite enough to compensate for the longer lag bolts.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Installing Saddlebags

Here is my rule of thumb. Do a mental walk through of the job. Estimate the time involved and multiply by "5". It works and does cut down on throwing things when frustration sets in. 2 days ago my Xs 10 rule failed and my travel mug travelled to a concrete wall. I am all better now. lol.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Tranquility

"Times 5" rule sounds extremely realistic ... I'll plan on it, thanks.

I hope your travel mug didn't hold any sentimental value for you! :-)

Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility
"Times 5" rule sounds extremely realistic ... I'll plan on it, thanks.

I hope your travel mug didn't hold any sentimental value for you! :-)
The mug itself was an exercise in frustration to use due to an idiot design. It was free to begin with.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Goose

I'm with you Tranquility. My bags were nothing but frustration for a while. I ended up spending a TON of time modifying them to work properly with the bike. (The dude I bought the bike from threw them in with the purchase but had never put them on.) Well worth it now that they are on though. :banana:

Old 05-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility
Okay, technically speaking, installing saddlebags is not a difficult thing to do. The instructions that come with the supports are good enough, and the saddlebags themselves are pretty self-explanatory (which is good since there are no instructions that come with them anyway). But OMG, unless you have have tiny little hands and skinny little arms, the install process is nothing short of a circus act!

I don't have any specific instructions that haven't already been posted elsewhere, and I did read a post that already mentions the limited working space under the fender but I will offer one piece of advice: Don't be in a hurry! What should take no more than 1/2 an hour took me upwards of two hours (including a couple walk-away-before-I-get-really-pi&&ed-off breaks). Of course, I AM a bike newbie, inexperienced with all things motorcycle ... Nahhhh, I stand by my advice. It's an easy job, if you're a stick-person. :-)

Oh, and I needed to dig up a couple extra washers. The ones provided with the supports were not quite enough to compensate for the longer lag bolts.
Try to get that rear off the ground by jacking it up. It gave me a little more extra room for my fingers.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

To avoid some or most of the frustration I lucked out on a method. For the right side support you need to reach in under the left side of the fender and over the tire to the right inner side of the fender. Jack up the rear shocks to their highest level for more room and it is actually quite easy. Reverse the procedure for the left side bracket.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
burkbuilds

Even when you do everything right sometimes there is still another glitch. A few weeks ago I put new leather bags on my bike, had them adjusted and off the muffler with plenty of clearance but after loading them down and riding for a few weeks I noticed that they were now contacting the muffler. So, off with the seat, pull the laces in another hole and remount them. Hopefully they've "stretched" out as much as they are going to, if not I guess I'll be doing this again.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Even when you do everything right sometimes there is still another glitch. A few weeks ago I put new leather bags on my bike, had them adjusted and off the muffler with plenty of clearance but after loading them down and riding for a few weeks I noticed that they were now contacting the muffler. So, off with the seat, pull the laces in another hole and remount them. Hopefully they've "stretched" out as much as they are going to, if not I guess I'll be doing this again.
:2tup: :2tup: :2tup: Good for you. You actually take the time to observe the bike when all is said and done. That will save $$ in the long run. A bag without a bottom is nothing but an expensive black hole.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #10
burkbuilds

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way when I burned a hole in my last set of bags on the GZ! Nothing like screwing up and costing yourself time, aggravation and money to teach yourself a lesson huh?