Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
music man

Front fork maintenance question

I have looked pretty good on here and I don't think there is already a post on here for this and I even looked pretty good in the service manual and didn't see anything about it, so here goes.

Can you check, add, drain and/or change the front fork oil without taking them completely off the bike or doing anything else besides maybe taking the weight off the front end, in other words am I gonna take the caps off and spontaneously combust or something if I don't do something specific. I know you cant change the seals or anything like that without taking them off, but what about the oil.

Later

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Sarris

Forks

The only scheduled maintenace is to inspect every 6000 miles and replace any scored parts or leaking seals. You don't have to regularly change the fork oil. Unless you are experiencing some type of unusual front end problems such as bottoming out, bouncing rebound, sagging, leaking, or score marks on the tubes, I wouldn't mess with it.

The front end assembly on GZ's is fairly bulletproof.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
music man

Well it is that my front forks don't really seem to offer much resistance (although I don't know how much it should have) I think I will go to the local zuki shop and push down on a new one in the front (if I can find one these days that is) and see how it compares, but I have had it for a year and no leaks that I have ever seen. I don't know what bouncing rebound is exactly and no score marks, the dust wipers are dry cracked a little, but that is about it.

Thanks

Later

Login or Register to Remove Ads