Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 07-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
dentheman

Custom ear plugs

I have been looking into getting custom made ear plugs because my three-flange Wal Mart earplugs sometimes lose seal mid-ride, or the right one has to be pushed in so far that it is difficult to remove, general discomfort, etc.

I was surprised by how many audiologists aren't interested in making ear plugs. Maybe the profit margin is too low compared to the expensive hearing aids that they will bend over backwards trying to sell me. (It starts with: "Come on in for a 'free' hearing check".)

I ended up making an appointment with the 'hearing and balance' clinic audiologist at the University Medical Center (Texas Tech). It was not an unpleasent experience getting molds made, but the plugs that I chose will cost me $66 each. If the actual plugs work as well as the molds did I should be satisfied. They should be ready in 2 weeks and I have another appointment to fit them. After I use them for a few rides I will let you know what I think of them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Custom ear plugs

Those better be good for that expense. That would buy 10 years of Walmart plugs if you changed them every month.
If you lose one, since they already have your ear mold, is it cheaper to get another one made, or is it still $66 a piece?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Those better be good for that expense. That would buy 10 years of Walmart plugs if you changed them every month.
If you lose one, since they already have your ear mold, is it cheaper to get another one made, or is it still $66 a piece?
I am getting tired of the Wal Mart earplug problems, especially having to use my key to get the right plug out since it goes too far into my ear. I have also tried a few brands of throw-away foam plugs, but my left ear canal must have a weird shape because I cannot get foam plugs to stay in that ear even long enough to get my helmet on. I should have asked if it would be cheaper to replace one now that the mold has been made, I certainly will find out at my next appointment. If the plugs work as well as the molds did and are as comfortable they are worth the price to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
5th_bike

I like the disposable foam ones, you roll them up, quickly insert them, keep them in with a finger while they expand, and sound just goes away. They never come out by themselves. They also clean your ear canal, especially the yellow ones look really cheerful speckled with red earwax.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
alantf

dunno how the pricing works in America, but I wear hearing aids, and the moulds are always free. You just pay for whatever the moulds are used to make.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
dunno how the pricing works in America, but I wear hearing aids, and the moulds are always free. You just pay for whatever the moulds are used to make.
I am paying only for the earplugs, the office visit and making the molds was no charge (I am sure they are added into the cost of the plugs since nothing is free). Pricing depended on which 'model' I chose. There are models specifically for musicians, swimmers, shooters, industrial workers, motorcyclists, etc. Health insurance does not cover these so the cost is out of pocket.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
alantf

Yes, in England the hearing aids are available free on the National Health Service, but not in Spain, so I've had to pay a hellova lot for my hearing aids.