Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
joephu

Cost for new GZ250

I went into my local dealer this weekend prepared to buy a new 2007 GZ250. He told me that he was a none haggling salesperson and would give me the lowest price up front. OK fine. He gave me an out-the-door price around $3980 :cuss: I reviewed the quote and it looks like I'm paying around $200 for app/doc fees (which was about $300 which he discounted to $200) and another $200 prep fee. I walked out mystified.

I said I was expecting to pay about $3500 - $3600 out the door. I know tax and registration is standard but paying full MSRP ($3249) and $400 in dealer fees sounded nuts. The salesperson said this is normal at all dealerships. If he's right, I'm going to get a used GZ instead because the depreciation is just too great.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

He may have said that this is true with all dealerships but he has obviously never heard of the idea of bringing a customer back. The Suzuki place here is Dalton sells their GZs for $3700 OTD and that includes $250 of free accessories, I got a luggage rack. Also, you can usually get them to throw in a used helmet. Because of their awesome upfront service, I go there for parts. I do my own maintanance, but I go to them for parts.

That being said, I would still suggest that you shop used first. Unless the bike has totally been ragged out and there are holes in the engine casing, these little bikes are easy to fix and maintain. There simply isn't that much that can go wrong. A single cylinder, air cooled engine is about as easy to take care of as there it.
You certainly get more bang for your buck, buying used.

Also, if you are willing to spend $3700 OTD, I'd look into the Ninja 250 or the Nighthawk 250. Both bikes offer more luxuries for the same amount of dough.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
joephu

Free accessories? I'd be lucky if they'd top off the gas. The price was for a stock GZ no extras. I wasn't aware that they took care of the full registration but I'd happily stand in line for 1/2hr at the DMV if it saved me $200!

I think they are making a mistake too because now I won't go back for a bike, service or accessories. If I were buying a $15,000 bike then I could justify the $400 but the markup on this entry level bike is outrageous. I'm surprised they sell any new 250s

BTW, do dealers charge these prep/destination fees for used bikes too?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

If a dealer has a used bike, I would assume so.
This is why I would suggest your buy used from a person. Ebay has some pretty low-ball prices of GZs. The market isn't allowing them to go for much more than $2000.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
xt477

I got my 07 for $3250.00 out the door. Took a copy of the following ebay add and they price matched.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-G ... enameZWDVW

Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
joephu

I would have gladly paid $3250 OTD! Ironically he has called me twice saying this time, he went "straight to the owner" saying that he did the "if mom says "no", go to "dad"...and he said "yes"". So much for being a straight shooter buddy :2tup:

Anyways, I couldn't find any nearby GZs on eBay and the $400 delivery est I was getting killed any savings. There was a 2000 GZ on craigslist but that sold quickly.

Anyways, this morning I put a deposit on a 2003 Yamaha Virago. It's mint with only 800 mi and comes with windshield, sissy bar, rear luggage rack and dual saddle bags (but pleather). OTD was $2300. . I really had my heart set on a GZ (not a fan of the Virago buckhorn bars) but I thought this was a good deal to pass up for such a clean bike.

Will this twin be just as economical to maintain as the thumper GZs?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yes, it will be. Valve adjustments will be more difficult and you may have to have the carbs syched eventually. However, if you're taking your bike to a dealer anyway, that won't be a big deal.

With the Virago, you are getting more highway power and more pull off the line. You will suffer slightly in the fuel economy department.

As for the bars, those can easily be changed out for less than $100.

Enjoy your new bike.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
shmeel

Cost

Local dealer charges msrp and then 600 in prep/destination fees. Then the tax and license is tacked on. No Negotiation.

Three dealers in La (two hour drive for me) are selling OTD (out the door) for the msrp, this includes tax license and any other nonsense.

Go figure