Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Shearerforce

Mad my 2008 gz250 cut off on me while going 50mph....???

Hello all...I just bought a used 2008 gz250 with 1890 miles on it and the guy took really great care of the bike. I have personally put 147 miles on it so far and have not changed a thing on it. Yesterday I was riding about 10 mins into the ride at 50 mph and the bike stutterrd and lost power a few times then completely shut off. The bike had been perfect prior to this happening. Everytine I have ridden the bike I have had no problems. I coasted to the side of the road and tried to start the bike again. It took a few tries but it started and idled fine. I started back on my way home and the same thing happened at varying speeds such as 30mph and 40 mph. After the bike cutting off about 8-10 times on the way home which is normally a 15 min trip I finally made it. I let the bike sit as it was very hot(motor) and I was worried I blew it up or something. I tried to ride the bike later that night around my neighborhood to see if it would do the same thing and it did. It shut off while gping slow and when I pulled the clutch in. I rode for about five minutes and it cut off about 6 times. I made it back home and parked it. I have not ridden it since. Any ideas on what this could be.....Thanks! Really appreciate any insight.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

First thing to do is check the oil level. It should be done with the bike in an upright position when you check it. The engine may be low on oil and overheating due to lack of lubrication.
Did you get a maintenance history with the bike? This is very important. Have you ridden before? Owned a bike before? Do you have the owners manual for the bike? All relative questions so we can get a more accurate picture of the bike and your experience and capabilities.
Likely the problem is fuel related but check the oil first. Then go on to fuel comments that will soon pop up to help you and the bike.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
Shearerforce

I have checked the oil level when the bike us warm and it is right in the middle of the glass circle. Tgis is my first bike although I have had several dirtbikes growing up. Tge guy who I bought it from told me he did the break in oil change at 600 miles but other then that nothing. I called him the day it happened and ge was confused on why the bike was doing that. He said it never happened to him. If it wasnt snowing putside I would go test the bike again....Yes I said snowing! Ugh.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Shearerforce

I do have the manual as well.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
mainlinecoffee

The only components needed for internal combustion is fuel compression and spark. Can you check that the fuel is flowing? Can you check for spark? If it is very hot then it may be warping he cylender head or valves. My Harley got so hot in fifteen minutes I burned the logo in to my thumb when I went to turn it off. Also I am fairly certain that you check the oil cold but don't quote me on it,better to have too much than not enough. Is it possible that the fuel Petcock being vaccum operated is cutting out due to dry rotted lines? Maybe the ignition coil is very sensitive to heat. Can you get a accurate reading of how hot the head gets? I'd be wary of anything over 240 f.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
5th_bike

Sounds like the gas tank needs a fill up.

Put the gas valve on "RES" (petcock handle pointing rearward) and visit a gas station. There, put the petcock back on "RUN" so you have reserve.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Shearerforce

I just checked the oil with the bike cold and upright and the reading was full. I cannot get a temp reading. I am very new to this bike. I am planning on taking the spark plug out to check for spark. Tomorrow it will be better weather and I will beable to do that. Also The lines look in good condition but I wanted to check them for clogs. I appreciate all the help. The bike is so new I feel like is has to be something simple.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Shearerforce

I will fill the tank for sure. I know it has a good bit in there....Could it be bad gas?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearerforce View Post
I will fill the tank for sure. I know it has a good bit in there....Could it be bad gas?
Most certainly if the gas has been in the tank for quite a while. It is winter right?? How long was the bike parked and when was it last ridden by the previous owner?
I would suggest installing an inline gas filter and adding a fuel additive to help get rid of any deposits from our modern gas that has such a short shelf life. The filter will catch stuff from the tank before it gets to the carb. Anything in the carb will hopefully dissolve and go away. Worst case scenario is removing and cleaning the carb properly. We have a bunch of members with lots of carb experience and will set you right. I am not one of them with hands on experience. Lynda's GZ always ran like a champion no matter how long it was parked.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
Shearerforce

When I bought the bike it had about 3/4 of a tank. He rode it seldomly as he told me and I ran about 50 miles or so on that tank of gas. I filled it with 87 regular. I am chompung at the bit for tomorrow to beable to check everything out that you guys have been telling me. Thanks so much for the help!