Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
DonSifu

chain/sprocket question

i have a 2009, only 11k miles on it, but the chain is stretched out to the maximum. i bought a new chain, do i need new sprockets too?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
blaine

Re: chain/sprocket question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSifu
i have a 2009, only 11k miles on it, but the chain is stretched out to the maximum. i bought a new chain, do i need new sprockets too?
A good way is to check if they are pointy & curved.If not you can go with just a new chain.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

You may want to at least change the front sprocket as it wears much more than the rear. If in doubt change both.
With my Vstrom I would get 15,000/16,000 miles out of the chain and sprockets. Tires were also due at that mileage. While the tires were beimg mounted and being a little anal I would have the shop install new wheel bearings too. I once had a bearing go bad and it was kinda scary at 70 mph.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
bwader

When I upgraded to the 16t sprocket, my original one looked like the one on the right. I noticed the smoothness of the new sprocket right away. On mine it was 5,400 miles
Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
JohnC

If the chain is worn to the point where it needs to be replaced you'd be penny wise and pound foolish not to change both sprockets, IMHO. I did the whole thing recently and found both sprockets for a reasonable price on e-bay. The seller's name was masspowersports (I have no affiliation with him).

BTW, technically, nothing actually stretches. The pins wear in their holes and the added slop makes up the additional length. The term is widely used but missrepresents what is really going on.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
plato1

At 11k miles on it, I would change both. A new chain will not set in well with the wear on the sprockets. I had the same problem with the chain coming loose--The chain wore out---I wore the teeth down pretty bad--I couldn't afford the new chain at the time so initially I took a couple of links out.....

Then I wore it out the rear sprocket really, really, bad---Still couldn't afford the chain---So, I got the new rear sprocket and put it on---What is happening now, is that the wear pattern of the chain does not fit snugly against the new rear sprocket---So, what I have been doing is constantly tightening the chain---Even when the chain is snug, you can see the chain doesn't quite rest on the sprocket like it should---this results in the chain clucking and jumping on and off the teeth at times..... If you are going to just put the new chain on, the reverse is going to happen---You will ruin your new chain because it' going to wear quicker at it attempt to fit to the old wear pattern on the sprockets....

I replaced my sprocket out of necessity and not being able to afford the new chain yet.....I now have the new chain and BOTH sprockets and will be replacing them all at once.....The teeth on my front are pretty decent, but you will wear the chain out quicker, if you don't change it also......

Hope this helps.....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

LOL! I took a couple links out a couple times. The first time and the last time. Not a good idea to say the least but we have to learn the hard way every now and again.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

LOL! I took a couple links out a couple times. The first time and the last time. Not a good idea to say the least but we have to learn the hard way every now and again.