Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
ldljll

HOT HOT engine

my 2000 with 7,050 miles on it seems to be running awfully hot. it also dies when idling. AND I think I am finding drops of oil on the left side close to the oil window every time I ride. I just changed the oil & the oil filter (I only put in 1.5 quarts). I just checked the air filter & it looks really clean. I'm worried the oil filter is installed wrong - could that be why it's so hot? But I put it back just the way the instructions told me...
Before I changed the oil it was leaking really bad due to loose cover. The nuts weren't even tight on the cover but I don't know how that happened either. Could they work themselves loose?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
ldljll

Re: HOT HOT engine

oops, that would be the right side where the oil window is.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldljll
I just changed the oil & the oil filter (I only put in 1.5 quarts).

Could they work themselves loose?
WHY only 1.5 quarts? Seems like I remember it should take over 2 ???
And yes, being low on oil can cause overheating.....and lots of OTHER bad things too, like total enging failure.

Yes, nuts and bolts do sometimes work themselves loose.

This oil/overheating thing is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT. You need to visit a dealer real soon.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
johnjh2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
I just changed the oil & the oil filter (I only put in 1.5 quarts).

Could they work themselves loose?
WHY only 1.5 quarts? Seems like I remember it should take over 2 ???
And yes, being low on oil can cause overheating.....and lots of OTHER bad things too, like total enging failure.

Yes, nuts and bolts do sometimes work themselves loose.

This oil/overheating thing is CRITICALLY IMPORTANT. You need to visit a dealer real soon.
1.5 Quarts is the right amount.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
burkbuilds

You got the right amount of oil, the manual says 1.4 US quarts if you only change the oil and 1.5 US quarts if you change the filter to and 1.8 for an Engine overhaul which I guess means you can't drain that last 3/10ths of a quart in a normal oil change.

Now the question is "are you getting good oil circulation"? Maybe the filter is installed incorrectly or possibly a defective filter that has an internal collapse and isn't allowing the oil to flow. Sometimes I've had trouble telling which way an internal filter should go when looking at the directions so maybe that is a possibility.

Some of the more mechanically inclined should be able to tell us if there is another potential problem that could be causing a lack of circulation. How about it guys? I assume this motor is just splash lubricated but I don't know for certain, is there a "sump" with a filter in the oil pan that could be clogged up or a return drain port from the top that could be clogged or something else?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
bonehead

Just looked at OEM parts manual. It does have a gear driven oil pump, but i can't tell from the parts diagram where it is. Try looking in the shop manual, I would, but have to get back to work.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

1300 ml or 44 fluid ounces U.S. In Florida the temps ARE hot. What weight oil ? I would go with a 20-50 weight myself. Also try idling up the engine a bit, that just may be what it needs to circulate the hot oil properly and effectively.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
ldljll

so you think if I set the idle higher, it would help cool the engine? I used 10-40 -the most expensive one on the motorcyle shelf. it's a big deal to get to the dealer from my house-it's not close by & I would have to get a ride home, but that's what i will do. I KNOW i need new tires & i can't do that myself. Thnks for the response!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
it's a big deal to get to the dealer from my house-it's not close by & I would have to get a ride home, but that's what i will do. I KNOW i need new tires & i can't do that myself. Thnks for the response!
So, let's chat a bit. I'm assuming from something that you said that YOU have owned this bike since it was new.....about 9 years, right? But then if that is the case, why is this your first expereince with changing the oil? I'm a bit confused.

If you have owned it that long, you surely should be able to judge that it is hotter than normal.
If you just recently got it, however, maybe you are just being paranoid.

The oil you got will be fine......if it really IS a motorcycle oil.

Anyhow, if you are really worried about riding it to the dealer, they will, for a fee, come and get it on a trailer. Call and ask; it might be worth the money.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
ldljll

thx, yes I think it's hotter than normal. & I've chged the oil three times (maybe 4).. But the trouble seemed to really start right when the cover was so loose & the oil started leaking. & after what you said about how serious it could be, I may try to load it on our old truck. It's probably 35 miles to the dealer - i'm know i've already run at least 50-60 miles while it's acting like this. But that means it will be a few weeks before I can ride it again