Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
BusyWeb

Ride Motocycle against Gust Wind Video Clip

Hello, there.

A video clip that shows how to react against Gust Wind.
Took during the local joy riding to the Joshua Tree National Park yesterday.

To get to the destination, had to pass Hwy. 62 which enterance road is famous for the GUST WIND.
Wind is always blowing at the road; mostly on West/East, and road streatched for miles on North/South.
So, especially with motocycle, riders have to deal with Cross Wind always...
Californian riders would know how the Desert Wind feels like.. ha ha ha

At this clip; starting about 3:30 to end of the video, you can see how I/bike were reacted against cross wind.
Sometimes wind pushed bike about a foot to the right...

These are what I did for it.
1. Leaning the bike throughtout the 3-4 miles long.
2. Lowered my body and moved my butt backward
3. I reduce speed for the safety reason; some strong gust at that time...
4. Lowered bike geat to 4-5 to get some torque.
5. and...high alert on the traffic >> changed lane to road side
6. ...

About starting at the 4:00 miniutes, wind is blowing...
[youtube:2mzln7s3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj4KuOZQkUg[/youtube:2mzln7s3]

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Ride Motocycle against Gust Wind Video Clip

I'm not sure that I know what I'm doing, but I tend to maintain or INCREASE my speed when I hit a windy stretch. Part of this is I think that the faster I'm going the better the physics (as far as countering the opposing force of the wind) and the faster I get through the gusty section, the fewer of those scary "mega-gusts" I will be exposed to (on average.)

Also, I don't think it is as mich about leaning or body position as it is about countersteering. The lean and the body position may aide, contribute to, or be a factor of the countersteer, but it's the countersteer and the centrifugal/gyroscopic force of the rotating front wheel that keeps you upright... yes?

I rode down that very same stretch when I went to Joshua Tree in the spring and, although it is windy, the steady wind doesn't bother me, it's the unpredictable gusts that you have to suddenly react to that are nerve wracking. I do find, for the most part, the bike tends to right itself, but the buffeting and the reaction is exhausting and not my idea of fun.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
JWR

I like a good variety of weather when I ride.

I look at wind, rain and fog as a learning tool.

Plus, no matter how bad it gets, I try to enjoy each ride that I take.

It's all about the STORIES That you are putting in your memory bank.

Nice ride BusyWeb........
You know how to have fun....

Jerry

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I rode down that very same stretch when I went to Joshua Tree in the spring and, although it is windy, the steady wind doesn't bother me, it's the unpredictable gusts that you have to suddenly react to that are nerve wracking. I do find, for the most part, the bike tends to right itself, but the buffeting and the reaction is exhausting and not my idea of fun.
Hi, Mr. Alan.
You are right, making little higher speed at the windy situation helps to break physics....
I do time to time...
However; I think that I'm still in nervous at the windy road (dont' call me chicken...ha ha ha),
I always reduce the speed when I met them on the road, even if the wind is not that strong.
>> just for the safty reason and ....
Specially with this new bike, wind is the the most alerted enemy for me(riders).
The lowered body bikes; cruser type, even with GZ250; like yours may not have big trouble... ha ha ha >> Mr. Alan, you ara lucky that you had heavier cruser...(i dreamed few minutes.. ha ha ha)
Thanks for the comments...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Busy, your bike seems to be quite stable in an area with enough wind to support power generators on a grand scale. We encountered a wind generating area last year in Southern Alberta and Lynda couldn't wait to get closer. AND then it hit her so to speak. Quite a learning experience for both of us. We do get some wind here on the West Coast of B.C. but it seems to follow a routine with the tides.
Wind has scared a lot of riders off the street and into cars when they just needed to learn to ride and stay loose. Thankfully your ride had a divided road so you didn't have to fear a head-on clash if you were suddenly moved over by the wind.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Thankfully your ride had a divided road so you didn't have to fear a head-on clash if you were suddenly moved over by the wind.
Hi, Mr. WW.
Yes, here US roads conditions are really well maintained for the any kind of drivers.
Good road signs including special warning signs, mostly wide roads, and etc...
I always thank for that when I an riding on the bike.
However, most of the road surface is from/by concreat (not asphalt)... ha ha ha.. some rough feeling

Anyway, the video clip's bike speed is very low and I was in high alerted situation... ha ha ha
Strangely, I can't make/go higher speed after I had a big scared moments under the wind...
I hope it will getting better..

By the way, I snapped the good amount of photos from last riding video clips "Joshua Tree National Park".
Some members complained that they can't see the YouTube videos..... so I made some work.
I'm getting lazy for taking photos while riding. (it saves some time if I don't stop to take photos...)

PS: Most of time, I always meet Germany Tourist... ha ha ha...

PS2: On the photos(Picasa Slide Show), there are two incidents of hitting poor creatures... try to find.. what are those...

[picasa=busyweb:tv4ll00d]5381190195897666881[/picasa:tv4ll00d]

Thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #7
Moedad

Thanks for posting the photos, Busy. It's faster than watching the videos. I saw a lot of my old climbing spots in those pictures--Intersection Rock, Cap Rock, Cowboy Crags--good times.

What were the temps out there in the park? How was the headwind on your way back through Banning Pass (basically between Hwy 62 and Beaumont)?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #8
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Thanks for posting the photos, Busy. It's faster than watching the videos. I saw a lot of my old climbing spots in those pictures--Intersection Rock, Cap Rock, Cowboy Crags--good times.

What were the temps out there in the park? How was the headwind on your way back through Banning Pass (basically between Hwy 62 and Beaumont)?
Hi, Mr. Moedad.
Glad photos worked for you...
Temperature was above 100; I guess; but I didn't feel that too hot ???
Don't know why, but I might just keep concentrating my joy of riding.. ha ha ha.

Yes, the Banning Pass was some point worse than the Hwy 62 enterance.
Because there were more high speed traffics around, so I had to more careful when riding over there.
However, wind and gust were little less than the other one; some point stronger ones too.
Anyway, I moved to the far right lane ... ha ha ha and slow down to minimum speed (50-65)

I remember that Early Morning or Evening would be O.K.; was less wind situation compare to the high-noon to afternoon wind.

Let me try Photo Snapshots next time again when I get chance.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
dannylightning

i always hated riding the gz in heavy wind, some times it felt like it was gonna blow the tires right out from under me. i encountered disgustingly bad winds one day on the new bike and than when the semi would go bye and pass me it made it about 3 times worse, the wind was so strong it slowed me down . but the bike stayed nice and steady, i was more worried about me blowing off the bike than the bike blowing off the road

on the gz when the wind was bad i would always slow down to 40mph going any faster felt scarry in that kind of wind.. only took that bike on the highway about 3 times. it often seems really windy on the highway around here. but i enjoy the days that it's not the best.

you definitely handled all that wind quite well.