Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
ruxpin76

Tank compatibility question...SOLVED!

I had the misfortune of discovering mine leaking today, into my side-stored helmet, no less. Drained and removed, appears to be light rust at rear, probably a crack due to fudged hold-down washer on one side.

Found a tank for sale in my in-laws hometown for around $200 NIB, correct color and all. The tank for sale is a 2003. Will it fit my 2002 GZ? Help mucho appreciated, so I can can confirm, buy or not, and have inlaws bring it down to me on Friday... Thanks in advance,

~Ted

PS - windchill at 45* morning ride to work makes for quickly numbing hands with gloves the have a porous backside...note to self.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
music man

Re: EMERGENCY (time sensitive) Tank compatibility question..

Yes it will fit.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #3
ruxpin76

Thanks... Will go for it...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
ruxpin76

UPDATE: Received NEW tank, transferred petcock over, replaced old fuel line with transparent red fuel line, reconnected vacuum line. Noticed new tank (2003 model) has a drain on bottom -- attached fuel line 1.5" long with a bolt threaded into empty end and safety wired. Safety wired other end to drain nipple. Attached new tank to bike with original base washers and new copper washers on "top". The copper washers can be indexed to the correct height and will account for any slight deformations. I will check regularly to make sure there's no "slop" beyond the proper "give" in the ruibber base washers. Filled. (Old fuel cap fits TIGHT in new opening, but DOES fit....no theft issue!)
Tested for leaks (none). Primed then switched to run.... SUCCESS!!! New tank with NO dents, perfect paint, and running engine! Also like the transparent fuel line to ensure there's good flow.

I now have a slightly dented tank for sale that needs mild welding at rear, if anybody needs a cheap project...

~Ted