Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
alantf

Servicing prices

Hi to anyone interested,
I've noticed people mentioning the high prices, couldn't care less attitudes & general inefficiency of the American "mechanics". I've always said how pleased I am with the personal service & efficiency of the local bike shop over here in my little village in Tenerife. last monday I popped into the shop & told them I wanted a 10,000 km service, so they asked me to bring it in today (wednesday). I dropped it off as they were opening up at 9.00 am, & picked it up at 12.30.

I've done the currency conversions on Google.

brake pads 29.95 euros ($38.12)
oil 12.00 euros ($15.27)
filter 4.50 euros ($5.73)
labour 21.00 euros ($26.73)

total, including taxes
70.82 euros ($90.13)

actually he gave me 30.00 euros change from 100.00, so it actually cost 70.00 euros ($89.08)

While I was there I noticed a box of gloves they were selling off at 15.00 euros ($19.00), on the counter. I got a great pair of taselled gauntlets. Looked at the price tag, & they should've been 47.00 euros ($59.81), so I was well pleased. A service & gloves for just over $100.00.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Servicing prices

Alan,

Whe I was in Spain (Barcelona) I was very pleased with the prices and the amenities as well. (Plus lots of pretty girls.) The flip side was, many of the people I worked with were paid very little and worked very long hours.

I'm not sure which service your 10Km corrresponds to, but the things they itemized seem like less than what is recommended in the manual. (Valve adjustments, for example?) Maybe I am misremembering.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
labour 21.00 euros ($26.73)
There is the biggest difference. With shop labor here abouts going for ~$100 per hour, that part of the bill would likely be closer to $200.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
JWR

The local Suzuki shop manager did not know how long it would take to put a headlight in my bike. He thought it involved a lot of wires inside the headlight housing, so he quoted me 1 hour labor.

Bulb......7.50
Labor....80.00
Tax..... 8.50

Total.. 96.00

I went to the Yamaha shop and got the bulb for 5.41 and did it myself.

Just the facts.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
alantf

[quote="alanmcorcoran"] the things they itemized seem like less than what is recommended in the manual. (Valve adjustments, for example?) [/quot

I've just checked in the owner's handbook, & apart from the brakepads, that are not mentioned in the service intervals (I know they were ready for changing anyhow) they seem to have covered everything.
With regard to the valves :- the service intervals are 5000 km (around 3,100 miles) & for each service "valves" is marked with a "I". looking at the notes, this means "inspection, clean, adjust, replace, or lubricate, according to what is necessary". I should imagine that with such close services (mileage wise) they thought that an adjustment wasn't necessary.
The only thing that's mentioned in the book,(apart from checks) for 10,000 km is a spark plug change, but I already checked it last week (as part of my regular checks) & I know it didn't need replacing.