Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
spldart

Nod Ok. I need some help with a list.

I finally got my settlement from a traffic accident where a very old man hit me on the freeway. He passed away during the 2 years that the case was fought but it's settled now. *hope you don't think less of me but his insurance was expired and I had medical bills and lost wage....*
Anywho.
I'm catching up bills and getting set up for necessities.

This is where you come in...
New helmet - that's obvious. Wow! The old one is beat up, but not the issue.

I need to stockpile some items that often break on this bike and bikes in general.
>Sprockets *that one tooth up one and the rear*
>Chain *don't need anything terribly expensive. Not like the motor makes 110 hp*
>Clutch cable. *those sometimes break with no warning at all.*
>Couple three oil filters
>Extra tube front and rear

What else should be in my tool rack to keep my bike running in an emergency?

Oh... and I'm gonna get that one tool/jig that lets you squirt lube forcefully down the cables....

I need reasonable prices and practical thinking

What might break in the next year on my 250? Someone rig replaced the ign coil... Should I order one for my stock?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by spldart; 06-07-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
I finally got my settlement from a traffic accident where a very old man hit me on the freeway. He passed away during the 2 years that the case was fought but it's settled now. *hope you don't think less of me but his insurance was expired and I had medical bills and lost wage....*
Anywho.
I'm catching up bills and getting set up for necessities.

This is where you come in...
New helmet - that's obvious. Wow! The old one is beat up, but not the issue.

I need to stockpile some items that often break on this bike and bikes in general.
>Sprockets *that one tooth up one and the rear*
>Chain *don't need anything terribly expensive. Not like the motor makes 110 hp*
>Clutch cable. *those sometimes break with no warning at all.*
>Couple three oil filters
>Extra tube front and rear

What else should be in my tool rack to keep my bike running in an emergency?

Oh... and I'm gonna get that one tool/jig that lets you squirt lube forcefully down the cables....

I need reasonable prices and practical thinking

What might break in the next year on my 250? Someone rig replaced the ign coil... Should I order one for my stock?
Oh boy, you will get a bunch of suggestions to help you spend the $ in your wallet.

First off don't get too excited and stock pile enough parts to build a spare bike.

I wouldn't get sprockets and a chain until I am sure to be needing them in the near future. Always renew the chain and sprockets together. That is a common procedure but also keep in mind the rear sprocket doesn't wear near as fast as the front due to it's larger size and reduced wear on the teeth. I would say you can safely do one rear for every 2 on the front.
Chain quality: use a O-Ring or X-Ring chain. Don't go cheap, reliability costs a bit more but it is worth it.
Sprocket size is your choice but I personally think the bikes are geared spot on for the majority.
Use DuPont chain lube with Teflon. Great stuff.

Clutch cable is interesting. A spare at home is of no use when you are 3 hours from home. Buy it and pre-install it along side the in-use cable. A failure while away from home is then no problem.
Tubes...............no. Tubes are pretty safe inside a tire.

Buy that new brain bucket 1st.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
spldart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Oh boy, you will get a bunch of suggestions to help you spend the $ in your wallet.

First off don't get too excited and stock pile enough parts to build a spare bike.

I wouldn't get sprockets and a chain until I am sure to be needing them in the near future. Always renew the chain and sprockets together. That is a common procedure but also keep in mind the rear sprocket doesn't wear near as fast as the front due to it's larger size and reduced wear on the teeth. I would say you can safely do one rear for every 2 on the front.
Chain quality: use a O-Ring or X-Ring chain. Don't go cheap, reliability costs a bit more but it is worth it.
Sprocket size is your choice but I personally think the bikes are geared spot on for the majority.
Use DuPont chain lube with Teflon. Great stuff.

Clutch cable is interesting. A spare at home is of no use when you are 3 hours from home. Buy it and pre-install it along side the in-use cable. A failure while away from home is then no problem.
Tubes...............no. Tubes are pretty safe inside a tire.

Buy that new brain bucket 1st.

I love the clutch cable pre-installed idea. Thanks for reminding me

As to the tubes. I seem to have a nack finding screws and nail with my tires. Car, mountain bike or motorcycle. So.... I get a tow home, whip out the tire irons and pop in a new tube.

I was considering the sprocket change but don't know. I just don't like how high
the rpm's are when I'm at 55 to 60 mph.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

55 to 60 mph on a GZ. Hah, not a problem. I personally think that speed is the bikes Happy Place.

Sounds busy and loud because it is singing to you. When the singing stops.............you start worrying.

My Vstrom was fairly loud because the engine noise would reflect up to me. That was around town and annoyed me. On the highway it would just whine a little from the tranny depending on gear and speed. The odd time it would sound like a turbine spooling up. Kinda cool.

Listen up folks...........noise................it can hurt you. Always use ear plugs to protect your hearing. Noise will fatigue you and you then become a target of opportunity for a cell phone driver or some wildlife.. Stay alert.

Hmm, sorry for straying from the original subject but one thing lead to another. It's an "Old Guy Thing", sort of like "senior moments and retirement.

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 06-09-2015 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
burkbuilds

WW, glad to see you still on here handing out good advice to us all. I never thought about just "hanging" the spare clutch cable along the existing one, great advice. I've had one break while I was riding and it's pretty tough to get home without a clutch, although I managed somehow. :}

Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

HEY BB how are these days?

The spare cable install is a suggestion from another forum. I just pass the info around to folks who will use it someday.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
spldart

Amazon shopping cart so far.
Electronic tachometer
Tubes front and rear
Brake pads front and rear
3 pack oil filters
cable lube
cable lube tool
clutch cable
grips
16 t sprocket

added brain bucket.

Last edited by spldart; 06-10-2015 at 12:44 PM. Reason: brain bucket
Old 06-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Amazon shopping cart so far.
Electronic tachometer
Tubes front and rear
Brake pads front and rear
3 pack oil filters
cable lube
cable lube tool
clutch cable
grips
16 t sprocket

added brain bucket.
What???? No blinker fluid!
Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
spldart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
What???? No blinker fluid!
I have a veritable cornucopia of blinker fluids in various weights and blink ratings
Old 06-11-2015, 01:11 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I have a veritable cornucopia of blinker fluids in various weights and blink ratings
Oh my, that's pretty high tech for a GZ.