Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
mrlmd1

Hot head

It's hot here in Florida. While I don't mind too much the heat inside the mesh armored jacket I wear in the summer (not too bad when you're moving), I do mind the heat and soppiness inside the helmet. I have to dry it out every time I go for a ride when it's 90 degrees outside. Having a bald top of my head doesn't help. Those little vents on the side of the chin bar and on the top don't really do much, and other than keeping the visor open a crack to let in some air (and a love bug once), does anyone have any other suggestions to keep your head cooler? I guess I also should have gotten a white helmet instead of a black one and I wonder if this makes any significant difference. All the padding inside is like insulation to keep in the heat. Someone should design and make a helmet that is still protective but be open with slits in the top and sides like a bicycle helmet. Any ideas to keep a cool head?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
I just thought of something that may help...
Have you seen those neck cooler things? Basicly it's a tube you wear around your neck that is cold (and stays cold for a while) and I believe the theory is it cools the blood running through your neck. If the blood is cooler, your brain is cooler therefore you head is cooler. I haven't tried it, but I may invest in one once I get my license and start riding.

*edit for typos (man I suck at typing) and the following:

Here's a link to a how-to for making one yourself, if you're handy with a sewing machine.

http://www.instructables.com/id/S9CVH2PF3R7AO6P/
Old 08-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Sarris

Florida Heat

I live just north of Tampa Bay in New Port Richey, and believe me it's hot here too. So..... I use a DOT police style half helmet until winter, then I use a 3/4 DOT. Full face is too damn hot for me. I'm bald on top as well and the soggy liner is just miserable so, I'm a half helmet guy. Most fools here don't even wear one. Oh yeah, love bugs suck.

:chop:

Old 08-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
mrlmd1

MI- I've got a few of those things, used to use them when sailing and I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder, I may try it and let you know how it works.

Sarris- I was thinking of that too but that would defeat the purpose of wanting complete protection as I'm still relatively new at this and I would just as soon suffer than risk losing my face. Sweat is thinner than blood and the skin stays on when you sweat. But the heat takes some of the fun out of riding.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
You might want to try something like this.

They're made from the same material some sport apparel is made from and wicks moisture away from your head/skin. These actually work pretty well in the summer heat, but depending on the amount of time in the helmet, can get the liner wetter than without it. The idea is to get air flowing around the head and promote evaporation on the skin, which cools you. Helmet liners can be washed and should be dried out as quickly as possible to quell bacteria growth.

What kind of helmet do you have? I just picked up a KBC and it has incredible airflow across the top of my head. It's a little noisy with wind, but that can be alleviated with ear plugs or headphones. The liner completely removes and is machine washable.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
LilNinja77

FWIW, studies have been done that indicate helmet color does not make any appreciable difference on the heat inside the helmet......topic has come up quite a few times over on the ninja250 forum. That being said though, some helmets are just hotter than others. I love my Scorpion, but damn if it's not a hot helmet. My cheap-O Bell helmet from Wal Mart was cooler to ride in! All the HJC helmets I've had experience with have been much cooler than the Scorpions I've seen. I have been tempted in the past to disregard my well-being and wear a 3/4 helmet.......tried it once for all of about 1/8 mile in a parking lot and couldn't do it any more. I'd rather be sweating in my fullface, but that's just me.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 08-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
My cheap-O Bell helmet from Wal Mart was cooler to ride in!
My Bell Zephyr (Walmart special!) is also very nice for warm weather, except I can't find tinted shields for it, and that bums be out. It's also the only helmet that I can easily fit a camera into without special modification and/or some kind of "mounting bracket". The coolness of the Bell is mainly because it doesn't have a solid pad system inside, meaning there are holes all the way to the core and that means breathability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNinja77
I have been tempted in the past to disregard my well-being and wear a 3/4 helmet.......tried it once for all of about 1/8 mile in a parking lot and couldn't do it any more. I'd rather be sweating in my fullface, but that's just me.
It's not just you. Since I started riding ATGATT (never otherwise), I feel almost naked and exposed on the bike without all the gear. The 3/4 just really bothered me as well...not to mention I think they look kinda goofy.

LIke I said. My KBC is very cool and has a lot of airflow into the shell. I actually think it has more airflow with the visor down than with it cracked open a notch. There's an attic-fan quality about them that sucks air into the vents faster since there's fast airflow across the bottom. The vent opening prevents that and hinders it.

You're right about the color not making a difference. A black helmet may retain heat more on the very outside shell, but there's enough polystyrene (ie. insulation) between your head and the shell to completely negate any of that heat transfer.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
LilNinja77

You couldn't find the tinted shield for the Bell Zephyr? My local Wal-Mart carries them and that's what I always rode with. I burn too easy to ride without a tinted shield. I don't have that helmet (or visor) anymore though........gave them to a guy riding up the east coast who had a problem with his expensive Icon helmet. He was lucky I just happened to be going west on 58 at 2 in the freaking morning when he rode by! Talk about good timing.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
mrlmd1

What kind of helmet do you have? I just picked up a KBC and it has incredible airflow across the top of my head. It's a little noisy with wind, but that can be alleviated with ear plugs or headphones. The liner completely removes and is machine washable.[/quote]

I also have a KBC with 2 intake vents in front and one exhaust in back on the top, and 3 vents on the chin/face guard. I keep them open but I fail to appreciate any air or ventilation coming in while riding so I keep the shield open a crack. I'll have to play with it, ie, shield open vs. closed, face/chin vents open vs. closed, etc. But it's still damn hot inside the thing and that's the biggest turnoff to go for a ride now.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #10
mrlmd1

I tried to answer Patrick but I don't know how the quote thing works yet. Sorry that last reply didn't come out exactly right.