Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-30-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
john1096

Frost Danger?

Does anyone have any experience and/or thoughts on the dangers of frost? In a car it is a non-issue. It seems to be less of a danger than rain, and I don't mind riding in the rain. I've never heard of frost being a factor in an accident, as opposed to rain, wind, sunlight, etc., and I deal with those all the time. I rode at about 31 degrees the other day (unseasonable cool for this time of year here) and saw that frost was forming on top of the vehicles parked outside, but not on the ground yet, so I wasn't too concerned. I know there will come a day when there is a hard frost on the ground and I will want to ride. My wife will tell me how stupid I am, but I probably won't listen. I guess I could just leave the house predawn before the frost starts to form, but I'm really not a morning person. The streets and roads I travel have pretty heavy traffic, and I think that would make a difference, as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Frost Danger?

It's not really frost that is the problem, it's ice (I suppose at some level they are the same, but I see frost as sugary crystals and ice as a solid sheet.)

If it's 31 degrees when you are riding, odds are it was a lot less than 31 degrees earlier that morning (like when it was dark out.) If there was any precipitation, dew or other sources of wetness, chances are good you will encounter ice that has not yet melted. This will be more likely in shady areas and areas that get colder (like bridges [especially bridges!])

The danger is that this is an intermittent situation so you may not be watching for it. You will also probably be pretty cold and your brain will not be working at full power. I'd suggest you treat both ice and frost the same as you do wet leaves, wet paint and wet mud: be very careful when turning through it - try to stay upright rather than leaned over.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1096
I know there will come a day when there is a hard frost on the ground and I will want to ride. My wife will tell me how stupid I am, but I probably won't listen.
Your wife sounds like an intelligent person. How did she end up with YOU !! :biggrin:

Your "before dawn" theory is incorrect. The right conditions for frost can exist anytime of the night and, indeed, sometimes in the daytime too if there is heavy cloud cover and sufficient humidity.

Trying to ride on ice is just plain stupid. Sorry but it IS. Unless, of course, you are in an open field and riding a rat bike just for fun.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
You will also probably be pretty cold and your brain will not be working at full power.
Brain freeze?? :biggrin:

In the past 3 years of riding i've never encountered frost as a road hazard. 'Course, metal bridges are always a concern with dew/frost but ive never had a problem on road surfaces themselves.

Now, dew usually forms on grass/leaves etc .... in the fall, wet leaves will get dew on them and frost over so be especially careful if you come across any on the road.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

Rode the moped through three winters. I don't think I ever rode it on ice (road crews in the northern climes are generally pretty good about attacking ice as it is a major hazard for cars as well) but I did ride (in between) packed snow a couple times. The main thing I remember about riding in the winter (real winter, like below 0 winter) was being colder than I had ever been.

I think 50% of my brain power was dedicating to thinking, "Holy shit, I'm cold!! How many more minutes of this can I take!"

In those days, my finances would make primal look like a billionaire, so I didn't have any fancy cold weather gear. I was often wearing a cheap suit with a cheap coat and cheap dress shoes. My fingers were the worst. 30 years later I can remember the pain as the feeling came back after I got to work - at a piano store! Fortunately, my commute was 5 or 6 miles - probably under fifteen minutes. Still long enough to deep freeze all of the extremities.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
john1096

I know ice is a no-no, although I have joked that I wish I could afford to get some studded snow tires for the winter! I'm just talking about the frost crystals. I've never even seen frost actually form on concrete or asphalt, but I assume it does. Thanks for bringing up the point about dew or other "sources of wetness" and for pointing out my flawed thinking about predawn-no frost. I'm with you, Dupo, metal surfaces on the road scare me, even more so in the cold. I have a giant man-hole cover that I have to be very careful to avoid going over in mid-turn just as I'm leaving my subdivision.

I know everyone worries about hypothermia at temperatures like that, but with a 20 minute ride or so the temperature was not a problem at 31 degrees. I actually had perspiration being held in my clothing, so I'm sure after a while that would start to cause a problem.

I'm weird. I like the cold. I know you southerners will think I'm a wuss, but Saint Louis summers are brutal. I can't even go outside during the day.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

It can be relative. I may have mentioned this on here elsewhere, but after one particulary brutal Ithaca February with thirty straight days of sub zero highs, when it "warmed up" to 30, a few folks broke out the shorts. Of course, if it ever got down to thirty out here in Anaheim, the mayor would declare a disaster. I was not properly dressed for the cold back in those days and the "snorkel" jacket was considered advanced technical clothing. Today's ultrathin ski wear and high tech fabrics make a huge difference in my appreciation for winter activities.