Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 11-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
RichInFla

Jack Question

My neighbor got a new jack for his HD as he does a lot of the maintenance himself, so he gave me his old one. It needs a block of wood to keep it from coming down, but it works. In either case, I was trying to see where under the bike to put it in order to raise it up. It looks like the exhaust pipe sits below the bottom of the frame, so I'm a little confused about where to put the jack under the bike.

Here's the link to the model of the jack: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...50190&sLevel=0

Dumb question, I know, but after 3 weeks at the shop for a "regulator/stator", I've determined that I can change my own oil, spark plug, etc. Managed to find and adjust the idle speed, so I know with the help of this forum I should be able to do general maintenance. :2tup:

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Jack Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichInFla
It looks like the exhaust pipe sits below the bottom of the frame, so I'm a little confused about where to put the jack under the bike.
There isn't much good news.

The bad news is: You must be VERY careful trying to use any kind of jack with this bike. The frame design makes it very difficult to do......safely. I got a motorcycle/ATV jack and find it to be pretty much useless. Best thing I have found is a large sissor jack from the junk yard.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
RichInFla

I was afraid somebody was going to say that...And it was free too, dang !!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Put a couple of 2x4's under the frame of the bike to elevate the exhaust pipe off that jack when you use it. It's not that difficult to get the pipe to clear the jack, just don't rest the pipe on the jack. And tie down the bike side to side, either to the jack or something else, so it doesn't get knocked over.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Sarris

First, don't buy the Sears Craftsman M/C jack as it is a POS (the Sears web site reviews by purchasers says so). I found that the best bang for the buck is from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight (Florida). I put a 2x4 flat (18" long) parallel to, under each the frame rail, and put the jack under them. Works great. BE SURE TO GET THE SHALLOWEST JACK POSSIBLE, or it may not fit under the bike with the 2x4 risers.

Good luck.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Old 11-14-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
Badbob

I've been jacking my GZ250s up with an ATV jack almost since day one. I the only concern about the pipes is that they are in the way. I just let it sit on them.

If your going to get one of these keep in mind that you only have 4.5 inches of ground clearance. Most of the cheaper ones are 5 inches or more tall.

I have the older version of this one.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 000P?mv=rr