Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
tommygun

Is 5th gear useless to anyone else?

I have a 2008 gz250. I like the bike but live in NE georgia and have a huge problem getting up some of the hills. On flat ground I even have trouble maintaining 55-60. I use high tess fuel and have a maintinace plan with the bike. I have put 6300 miles on the bike since July. Is this a general issue with the bike or is it just me?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Is 5th gear useless to anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun
Is this a general issue with the bike or is it just me?
Welcome!

Yes and yes!

A few things come to mind:

No need to use "premium" gas. Your bike might run better with regular.

Part of the problem is the equipment and part is technique.

How big a person are you? Do you have a windshield? You might want to do a search here for "windshield". One that is not TOO big can actually help lessen the wind drag.......which is the main problem with top-end speed.

The technique part is getting the most you can out of 4th gear before you shift to 5th. Top speed in 4th is about 55-60 mph (help me out here "stock" riders). If you know you are approaching a hill or are in a stiff head wind, it's important to get the most you can out of 4th. The more speed you can (safely) carry into the hill the better. Sometimes you can't use 5th at all.......if the hill is steep or LONG or the head-wind is REALLY strong.

Tell us a bit more about the situations you have encountered and we can go on from there.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
tommygun

I am 175 and have a small spitfire shield. I didn't know about the regular gas, that should save some money! I hear all these pople saying how they have had thiere bikes on the interstate, there is no way my bike will get up to 70- 75 unless I am going down hill!

when approching a hill I do just as you said. I can only maintain 55 un a hill when in 4th gear. I have noticed more of a problem with top speed in the colder weather. I ride no matter what and have more of a problem in the morning

Old 11-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
I am 175 and have a small spitfire shield. I didn't know about the regular gas, that should save some money!
How small is the shield? Does it really keep the wind off your chest AND head ??
Ducking down to minimize your wind exposure might help some.....as would hooking your heels on the passenger pegs. Both those things cut down the wind drag.

I think your experience is fairly typical. Your definition of "hill" and mine are probably somewhat different.

As far as the gas goes, you might want to read the owner's manual when you have a few minutes to spare !! :whistle: :biggrin:
Old 11-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
tommygun

My route to work has alot of "quick hills" (much like an interstate over pass) and some gradual hills. Is there any way go get more power out of this little bike? i.e. special plugs, sprockets, or slapping a turbo on the sucker? any tips? my shield is 15 x 17. it is just right for the bike and helps me riding comfort just right. I am looking for some affordable hand deflectors for my winter riding. Also what is everyone averaging on MPG?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

tommy,

I am in a hilly area as well and I generally have dropped 5th from consideration unless the road is flat. On a positive note, I can get the bike up to 60 in 4th without difficulty. I have a pretty big windshield. Before the windshield, I had to put my face down on the speedo to get the last 10 mph out of the bike, but I think I was able to go 3-4 mph faster at the top end.

I do not have the 16T mod which apparently improves the low end power bands but adversely affects the top end.

You will hear plenty otherwise from other riders here, several of which are competent "modders", but in my opinion, you can forget about cruising at 70-75 on the interstate. I've hit 70+ on the bike, in 5th, on a flattish paved road (probably with the wind on my back) but it's an ideal condition thing. I do think you can count on 63-65ish or so most of the time.

Mine is a 2008 too (about 2400 miles) and did get a little faster over time. Not dramatically so though. I completely agree with Easy - get the all the revs you can out of 4th. After the first couple thousand miles, I changed my shifting habits to use a lot more of the upper range of the gears.

At the end of the day, the GZ can be used on the interstate, but it's not the best use of the bike. This bike shines around town and on the backroads.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
tommygun

"I do not have the 16T mod which apparently improves the low end power bands but adversely affects the top end."

I have though about the "16t" but couldn't figure what "top end" was. As of right not I can squeeze 60-65 would it be cut down to 50-55 w/ a 16t? does anyone know?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
My route to work has alot of "quick hills" (much like an interstate over pass) and some gradual hills. Is there any way go get more power out of this little bike?
No. Assuming that you are the first owner and it is still bone stock, you should not be having as much trouble as you seem to be describing.

It will NOT pull a hill in 5th at less than 55 mph; it just won't, meaning it won't maintain speed. Even at 60, you will probably lose a few MPH. If you can attack the hill at 65 (or more) you should pull it just fine, with minimal loss of speed.

Try a couple of tanks of regular gas. Consider using synthetic motorcycle oil. Other than that, just down shift when needed.......and stay off roads where you NEED to maintain a speed faster than 55 to stay alive.

The "average" fuel mileage seems to be around 65-70.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
I have though about the "16t" but couldn't figure what "top end" was. As of right not I can squeeze 60-65 would it be cut down to 50-55 w/ a 16t? does anyone know?
"Top end" power is what you are complaining about.

I have the 16T sprocket and it cut my top end speed down from about 75 to 70 and it takes a LOT longer to get up to that speed.

It would appear that you are NOT a good candidate for a 16T front sprocket.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
tommygun

See now I would be thrilled to get up to 70! I have been 70mph down hill only?! does the 16t give you more torque? to maintain a top speed of 60-65?