Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
SuziQ07

Newbie Mistakes

I wanted to share a couple of my newbie mistakes that hopefully others can learn from. I bought my used 2007 GZ250 on April 1, 2010. So far, I have put about 500 miles on it. 300 or so of those miles were in an empty school parking lot on weekends and evenings.

1. During my MSF class (two weeks ago) I dropped the bike down in a slow motion. I was actually using a GZ similar to the one I own. I had two instructors...one was very kind and encouraging, and the other was a yeller! At one point he was yelling at me to slow up or slow down...I couldn't tell because he was too far away. Anyway, I was slightly turning and shifted up to 2nd gear...but I didn't give it enough throttle...so the bike stalled and over it went...and I kind of hopped away from it. There was no visible damage...thank goodness! The one teacher just stood there totally disgusted and didn't offer to teach me as to how to lift the bike back up properly.
I still managed to pass the course despite the drop, because I didn't do it during the actual exam. I was so disappointed with myself because I never had that problem when I was learning to ride with my father.

2. After I got my license I went riding with another newbie friend from work (she's the math teacher across the hall from me). After going into a store I forgot to bungee my Cortech tailbag to the bungee nuts on the back. I rode for about 5 miles at 55 miles an hour with the bag just SITTING on the back seat. Imagine my surprise when at the next stop I see the bungees just dangling down!! Lesson learned: never rush to get started with a fellow rider. Slow down and make sure everything is properly tied down and you're geared up.

3. When to the jewelry store yesterday to drop a necklace off for repair. Almost forgot to put the side stand down! I remember starting to swing my leg over the bike and wondering why it seemed heavy and was leaning! I put the stand down in time!

These situations remind me of how new I am to riding and how much more I have to learn on my GZ. I do love operating my own bike, but it's so relaxing to just be the passenger. The few times I've ridden on the back of my dad's Harley I just zone out and feel the wind on my face. I am looking forward to putting many more miles on my GZ and learning new lessons every time I venture out on the road!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
GZ Jess

Re: Newbie Mistakes

Good post. I noticed too that my first ride with people was stressful enough I almost forgot all the basics. But your right, just slow down and take care of your stuff, friends will wait.

The longer you ride the more of a habit all the little things will become until you don't even notice your doing them.

Have fun, Jessica
Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
it's so relaxing to just be the passenger.
I'm really glad you've said that. A lot of folk on here (including really experienced riders) have said that they would NEVER carry passengers, & have gone as far as removing the pillion seat. I'm just the opposite. My missus travels on the back as often as possible, & prefers it to the car. I wouldn't refuse to carry anyone who asked me - it's a great way to give them their first experience of two wheels. I just can't understand the mentality of anyone with a vehicle built for two, to prefer being on their own. Even my granddaughters (in their twenties) ride behind me, & even if they don't want a bike of their own, they love the freedom of being on two wheels. :2tup:

Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
GZ Jess

I personally did not find it relaxing on the back. I was constantly trying to steer my husband with my knees LOL. I have quite a few friends that prefer that back and there is nothing wrong with that either. If they are on the back of big bikes I've know passengers to take a nap and they are also the best photographers LOL!

To each there own but whatever you decide to do, enjoy it!

Jessica
Old 07-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
cayuse

Thanks for sharing!
Not long after I got my licence, I met the family for lunch, parked the bike, fastened the disk lock, had lunch, walked around with them for a couple of hours, and hopped back on the bike to leave. Guess what? I rode away and got about 3 feet before the disk lock hit my forks and I dumped the bike in the street. Luckily, there was no traffic, and as a bonus the 6 people having tea on the patio 1/2 block away didn't seem to notice (I checked, of course). After another little walkabout (same excursion) I put my helmet on and rode ~1/2 hour into town to do some shopping. As I pull into the parking lot I realized that the odd cool feeling on my neck was due to the helmet straps flapping in the breeze. I hadn't fastened them!

So now, I never start up before checking for the disk lock, and my hands don't leave my helmet before I strap up.

Don't worry. As GZ Jess said, a lot of things will become habits. I'm sure I'll relearn a few at the start of next season.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 07-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

The best habit to get into is "Never Hurry". Take your time and get into a riding mind set. Do your bike checks if it is the first ride of the day. Once the bike has it's once over do the same for the rider, rider check every time I get on. A place for everything and everything in it's place. Pockets zipped up, straps secured, double check for coffee money.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziQ07
it's so relaxing to just be the passenger.
I'm really glad you've said that. A lot of folk on here (including really experienced riders) have said that they would NEVER carry passengers, & have gone as far as removing the pillion seat. I'm just the opposite. My missus travels on the back as often as possible, & prefers it to the car. I wouldn't refuse to carry anyone who asked me - it's a great way to give them their first experience of two wheels. I just can't understand the mentality of anyone with a vehicle built for two, to prefer being on their own. Even my granddaughters (in their twenties) ride behind me, & even if they don't want a bike of their own, they love the freedom of being on two wheels. :2tup:
I would just love to have a husband that took me out for jaunts on his motorcycle here and there. In my family, only my father and I ride motorcycles. My father is in his mid-60'...and I want my riding partner to live many long and healthy years so we can continue to ride together. I just think it's so relaxing to ride on the back with someone...it sedates me...it's like a drug! I just zone out and enjoy the scenery and the different smells...and all the things you can't see while riding in a cage.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
SuziQ07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
Thanks for sharing!
Not long after I got my licence, I met the family for lunch, parked the bike, fastened the disk lock, had lunch, walked around with them for a couple of hours, and hopped back on the bike to leave. Guess what? I rode away and got about 3 feet before the disk lock hit my forks and I dumped the bike in the street. Luckily, there was no traffic, and as a bonus the 6 people having tea on the patio 1/2 block away didn't seem to notice (I checked, of course). After another little walkabout (same excursion) I put my helmet on and rode ~1/2 hour into town to do some shopping. As I pull into the parking lot I realized that the odd cool feeling on my neck was due to the helmet straps flapping in the breeze. I hadn't fastened them!

So now, I never start up before checking for the disk lock, and my hands don't leave my helmet before I strap up.

Don't worry. As GZ Jess said, a lot of things will become habits. I'm sure I'll relearn a few at the start of next season.
These are all great thing to be reminded of...very important. It doesn't sound like you did any damage to your bike. And I'm glad the 6 people who were dining didn't see you! :cool:
I was fortunate that my loose flying bungees didn't get caught up in the back wheel...then I would have gone down! Amazingly, the rubber material on the bottom of the bag kept it in place for several miles at 55 mph. I really dodged a bullet with that one!
Every time I think for just the slightest second that I may need a bigger bike I remember that I still have so much more to learn on the GZ250. I don't think I could part with my GZ for a long time too.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
alantf

[quote="SuziQ07"] My father is in his mid-60'...and I want my riding partner to live many long and healthy years so we can continue to ride together. [/quote}

So am I. and my missus is seventy - neither of us wants to grow old gracefully! :rawk: :rawk:
Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

I had my tennis gear come loose on a recent trip and noticed it when I couldn't feel the duffle against my back. I was going to recommend you check out some stretchy straps with oversize hooks (I think my wife got them at Target). Lots of expert motorcycle tourers are recommending not using bungies because they often fail and can pop you in the eye if they come loose.

In my research for my possible camping adventure, I read a number of gruesome stories about what happens when your gear shifts and straps, bungies, etc. go into the rear spokes. Often fatal to bike and rider.

I've gone about 12,500 miles since I got my GZ midway through 08 and I still have trouble remembering to turn off the turn signal. But I think most of the rest of it has become habit. Just take it easy (speedwise), keep alert/vigilant and work your way up to more challenging conditions. You'll be very pleased with how much you'll improve just by getting the first 3000 miles under your belt.