Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Motorcycle Muscles

So, finding myself out of town (and away from the stable) this weekend, and acutely disappointed to know that I cannot pick up my Kawa any better than The Beast, AND, having access to a decent hotel fitness center, I figured I might adopt a new fitness goal - getting into good enough shape to pick up the KLR 650. I have a rule of thumb (which may be completely incorrect) that says "If I can dead lift half the weight of the bike, then I should be able to pick it up." (Anybody know how valid or invalid this statement is?) From there, I kind of wondered - what's the best approach in the gym? My gym routine has gotten wimpier as I've aged and, at this point, it's more about not hurting myself rather than developing any muscle, but, I think picking up the Kawa might possibly still be in my range (hard to tell, really. My max bench has dropped from a peak of [one rep of] 215 [was never that high to begin with] to a mere [six reps of] 135 of late. A few tweaked shoulders, etc. will do that to you. I was doing 20 pounds more last year, but it was a trial, so I backed off so the "dread" factor wouldn't chase me out of the gym entirely.)

For lack of any better ideas, I am wrestling the two heaviest dumbbells with which I can safely clear the rack and setting them on the floor. I then walk up to them and... pick... them... up. Rest. Repeat. Try to use the legs mostly, but I'm definitely using back muscle, too. Did ten reps of 75 pounders (150 total.) Feel like I could probably do a little more, but not a lot more. I'm thinking - If I can work my way up to 100 pounders (not really sure this is physically possible), I'll be in range of being able to do ONE rep of the Kawa.

Thoughts?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Motorcycle Muscles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
...disappointed to know that I cannot pick up my Kawa any better than The Beast...
Wait, did I miss a post somewhere? When did you drop your KLR (no shame, dirt/dual sport bikes get dropped/crashed)?
Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
dentheman

I would think being able to lift half the weight should work, since the wheels support the other half. You didn't scratch your brand new KLR, did you?

By the way, I went to the dealer a couple days ago and tried to sit on a KLR. I almost got my leg up over the saddle.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
dhgeyer

Alan,

No insult or offense intended, but I must ask: has anyone ever told you about, or have you encountered in your reading, the correct way to pick up a dropped motorcycle?

If not, it goes like this:

If the bike is not on level ground, pivot it so that the top is uphill and the wheels downhill. Yes, this may cause additional scrapes depending on the surface.

Turn your back to the top of the bike.

Bend with the knees, keeping the back straight. You are now squatting with the part of the bike you want to lift directly behind you.

Reach behind you and grab whatever will give a solid hold, and also the best leverage - often the handlebars.

Lean back against the bike a bit, and lift with your legs, keeping your back straight so as not to throw it out.

I should think that lifting a KLR would be doable with correct technique, although I've never tried it with that particular bike.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
...disappointed to know that I cannot pick up my Kawa any better than The Beast...
It's not how much you can lift,But how you lift.I have see 90lb female lift a fully loaded Harley.She lifted by been backwards to the bike and lifting from a low point & lifting with her legs while backing up till the bike was up on the side stand.She had other people watching try the technique,all succeeded.I have seen this technique demonstrated at different rallys & bike shows.I have used this technique in the past and found that it works.Although my bike is considerably lighter than a Harley.
:rawk: :2tup:

Old 10-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #6
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Alan,

No insult or offense intended, but I must ask: has anyone ever told you about, or have you encountered in your reading, the correct way to pick up a dropped motorcycle?

If not, it goes like this:

If the bike is not on level ground, pivot it so that the top is uphill and the wheels downhill. Yes, this may cause additional scrapes depending on the surface.

Turn your back to the top of the bike.

Bend with the knees, keeping the back straight. You are now squatting with the part of the bike you want to lift directly behind you.

Reach behind you and grab whatever will give a solid hold, and also the best leverage - often the handlebars.

Lean back against the bike a bit, and lift with your legs, keeping your back straight so as not to throw it out.

I should think that lifting a KLR would be doable with correct technique, although I've never tried it with that particular bike.
There is a demonstration on Youtube of a rather hefty woman demonstrating this technique. And some smaller girls too! search 'lifting motorcycle' on Youtube.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Motorcycle Muscles

Yes the klr went down. At 209 miles! More on that perhaps in a different thread. Re so called "proper technique": yes I've seen it and if you happen to dump your bike in a perfectly level parking lot with no other obstacles nearby maybe it even works. In real life, I'm now a three time dumper. In all three cases I got nowhere, absolutely NOWHERE with this technique. I could not move the KLR more than a few inches. The ground is loose, there's not much to grab, there's really no special place where your ass magically attaches to the seat- you can't even get your ass touching the seat- and I don't know that my spindly legs are really all that strong anyway. I asked several dirt bikers if they used the "technique" and they laughed. They drag the bike level, off the rocks (something I currently can't do) and they pull it up by the bars and the handle on the seat.
My current technique is to cry like a little bitch and wait for a real man to come and help me pick it up. So far, I'm three for three with this approach but my looks are fading fast and I don't know that I'll be able to pull it off much longer.

I'm not saying I couldn't maybe be doing the technique wrong but the reality is, I've seen it, I tried it, I got nowhere with it and, the only way to practice it is to dump my strat or the 650 over, which will not only probably eff them up some more, but I'd probably have to resort to crying again if I didn't improve enough to get the thing up. In my defense, although I am a weakling I am not a spazz - I aced the msf course and got the only perfect score in my class. Good thing I didn't have to pick one up!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

I will no longer try to pick up the Vstrom without help. It can lay there sleeping till help arrives. It is also tall like a KLR and heavier. It does have crash bars and hard bags so there is a safety factor there against a lot of damage. So far 2 left front signals and a clutch lever have been replaced in 5 years. I do consider that pretty cheap overall. There a couple very minor scratches prior to crash bars and the first drop a week after I got it. That was the only time I picked up the bike by myself. Never again though, I spent 7 weeks laying flat on my back with bruised discs in my lower back.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
I have a rule of thumb (which may be completely incorrect) that says "If I can dead lift half the weight of the bike, then I should be able to pick it up." (Anybody know how valid or invalid this statement is?)
While getting in shape is a laudible goal, using the "proper" technique for picking up a downed bike is probably even more important.

That technique involves facing AWAY from the downed bike and using mostly your legs to do the work. While it looks wierd and I have been somewhat skeptical, it does work......I now know from experience. There are "training" videos of a 90 lb. girl picking up a Harley.

Maybe someone can provide a link. If not a search should find it.

[edit] OK, while there ARE some conditions under which "the technique" will not work because of the terrain.......it will work most of the time and one of these days, you may have to wait a LONG time for help to show up. If the 90 lb. little girl can do it, I'm sure YOU can too.......if you just get past that mental block. :tongue:
Old 10-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, I've seen the video. There's actually quite a few variations of it, including one in a video Patrick sent me. I don't have a "mental block." It's a pretty friggin' simple idea. The problem is that it has not worked for me in what I'd refer to as Real Life Situations. Right from the start, the seats of my bikes have been down, touching the ground in near vertical position. In addition, there has been steep, loose terrain next to said seat. I do not have any magic hooks on my ass that I can back up and connect to the bike. I cannot even get my ass down low enough to touch the bike, and even if I could, I'd be down too low at that point to be able to do any lifting without popping my knees out (or something else.) What you see in the videos is someone righting a bike that is not completely fallen over or has some other mechanical advantage (perhaps its shape or protrusions) that is not present on my bikes. Maybe the 90 pound chick is an Olympic weight lifter. Whatever the case, it falls under the category of Shit I Am Never Gonna Be Able To Do. When someone on here posts a video of themselves picking up a Strat with nothing but their own legs and ass, I will start paying attention. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, it's useless information.

What bike did you pick up? I'll pay to see a video of that.