Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
dentheman

Jury duty, 34 degrees, and only a motorcycle.

I had a summons for jury duty Monday morning (be there by 8:00). My daughter has the car in New Mexico, visiting friends, so all I have is my Shadow. I knew it would be cold, and it was 34 degrees, so I dressed for the ride. My fingers got slightly cold, but otherwise it was a good ride. The only problem was the bike bogged down for a few blocks. I don't think it was the engine, but the 90wt oil in my final drive that needed to warm up.
Previously, I had spent about an hour before being dismissed, this time I made it all the way to 'jury selection' where both lawyers asked us a bunch of questions. In the end, I was not selected, and got out about 3 PM.
The case was State of Texas v (forgot his name), the charge was 'terroristic threats'. Apparently this guy and his girlfriend broke up and he sent her some threatening text messages. Now I sort of wish I had been chosen or had stayed to see the outcome.
I think I was released when the defense lawyer asked me if I had ever sent a threatening text and I told him I don't know how to text.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: Jury duty, 34 degrees, and only a motorcycle.

Hahaa, good job........ I think :/
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Dentheman, you are a true hero of the modern age. I can't text either and don't care to learn.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
mrlmd1

WW- you are doing that here, just hitting different "send" buttons.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
WW- you are doing that here, just hitting different "send" buttons.
99% correct. The 1% is just me refusing to become one of the sheep texting to the person across the table. I see this as a waste of time. I see nothing wrong with modern communications but it has become a source of time wasting and leads to other problems like cyberbullying and the like. Twitter and Facebook etc are just toys to ask friends what they had for breakfast all too often in my opinion. Yup I'm an old guy who often refuses to change until forced to.
I may seem to have a twisted sense of values now and again but I do like my privacy. A desk top computer is my weapon of choice and I e-mail friends and do my thing on a few forums. Info is at my finger tips at my convenience when desired.
Ah hah, "convenience". That is the word. I do what is convenient for me, just like everyone else but to a lesser degree of involvement with others. Here's hoping that makes sense.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
mrlmd1

Speaking about convenience, I have no clue while people waste more time texting back and forth instead of speaking to each other directly. Isn't that really what the cellphone is for?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Speaking about convenience, I have no clue while people waste more time texting back and forth instead of speaking to each other directly. Isn't that really what the cellphone is for?
Quit using logic, you will confuse millions of folks.

Truth be known, the only reason I have carried a cell since I retired is to "not" wear a wrist watch. I still have the time available but not the reminder on my wrist of all the time sensitive duties of a job. I no longer need to be concerned with 22:00 hours, countdown timers, beeps and much needed illuminated faces in dark areas.

I once forgot my wrist watch and only realized it after I got to work. Grabbed a travel alarm from the truck and used rubber bands to hold it on my wrist. Got a couple timers from the lab and carried on. My travel alarm got me a lot of weird stares and questions. All in all, everyone got a laugh that day so my substitute wrist watch was doubly successful.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
dentheman

My daughter insists that I carry a cellphone when riding, and it sure came in handy when my rear tire went flat. I have recently had my home phone disconnected and now rely on the cell.