Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-07-2015, 01:52 AM   #1
gnakvo63

Bike won't run without choke

Now I get that pretty much the first thing that pops up when you google my title is to clean the carbs. But the fact that my bike was being ridden when it happens worries me (still hoping it's the carbs though).

So I was riding and the bike seemed to be running pretty good. I take a turn into my neighborhood in 3rd gear and the engine starts revving really high and dies. I get it started up again, but I had to use the choke. It starts revving high again down the block when I'm in 1st gear and slowing down so I hit the kill switch. I get it started again, ride it home, and listen to it idle in neutral. I'm still a beginner with all of this, but it didn't sound too good. I also noticed it stalled on me a lot easier (I had just hit the friction zone and normally would let the clutch out a little more before giving it gas, so it caught me off guard).

I come back 30 minutes later and the bike is still warm and I can't start the bike unless I use the choke and open the throttle a LITTLE bit. I ride it around and as long as the choke on, I'm good; hell, even at higher speeds I'm good without the choke. But if I turn the choke off and slow down, the bike dies (throttle wont respond and I think the engine stops). Same thing if I try to turn the choke off while it's idling. So I have to start it up by: opening the throttle a little, choke lever all the way on, and hit the starter. Without the throttle it doesn't start.

I've been riding it for about a week now and after my first ride ever with the bike there was an oil leak. I've been checking the oil with the bike in an upright position and it's still looking good: even before this ride. I bought the bike from a dealership that may or may not have had the bike sitting around a while. It ran pretty damn well and started pretty damn well in my opinion until this happened.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
blaine

Carb needs cleaned....Not running without choke is a sure sign of a plugged pilot jet.Try some SeaFoam in your tank.....It may save you taking carb off.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #3
spldart

Wink

Oh... Just clean it

Ambient temp you generally ride in?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
seohio250gz

Your post sounds just like my first post here did. Pull the fuel bowl and clean your jets. Mine did the exact thing yours did but after I cleaned the jets all is well (1200 miles since).