Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
OldF7Guy

Stock tire and chain life?

Been a while since I have had a chain bike. What is the average life expetancy of the chain, sprokets and tires? Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Stock tire and chain life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy
Been a while since I have had a chain bike. What is the average life expetancy of the chain, sprokets and tires? Thanks.
Hello.Welcome to the forum.With a little care & maintenance you should be able to get 15 to 20 thousand miles out of a chain & sprockets.
:cool:

Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
OldF7Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
Quote:
Hello.Welcome to the forum.With a little care & maintenance you should be able to get 15 to 20 thousand miles out of a chain & sprockets.
:cool:
Thank you blain. Thats very good life imo. I found a new GZ for 2K. Thats a killer price imo but its a long way from home and I have to sell my sportster first anyway.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
alantf

Quote:
I have to sell my sportster first anyway.
Why's that? Don't like the bike, problems with it, economics? Is there something you feel the GZ can do that the Sportster can't?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
OldF7Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
I have to sell my sportster first anyway.
Why's that? Don't like the bike, problems with it, economics? Is there something you feel the GZ can do that the Sportster can't?
I hate it. Its a 03 rigid mount and vibration has driven me over
the edge. Its a 1200 and the power is there. The brakes suck. The handling sucks. Everything for it costs an arm and a leg because it says HD on the side. Dont get me wrong though. One day I would like to try a rubber mount sporty. I hear they are ten times better. I still have not found a metric cruiser that I like better in the sportster class if they have fixed some of the issues with the older ones. The mirrors are totally useless. I need to free up some cash also. I just hate to be without a bike of some kind.

I need something cheaper and simple. I used to ride a Kaw F7 175cc all over the place. It was a two stroke with 18 hp so I know what to expect with a GZ. A thumper is better for me in my older age and I dont need to go that fast anyway.

I was browsing some scooter forums and those people ride them all over hells half acre. :lol: You gotta love that and their go for it attitude. I did not realize how big some of them have gotten. Suzy has one that is a 650 now I think. I honest to goodness think I could have a ball on a little 250 and not break the bank at the same time.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I've had a cheap Chinese scooter, a Gz and Ninja 250 and played around on some other stuff.

Honestly, and don't start throwing flaming pitch forks at me, for utility and purpose the scooter was the best of the 3. The Gz came in second after I put a rear luggage box on it.

What are your riding styles like? Do you do much highway riding? 55-65 is OK for the Suzuki but much over 65 for long rides is just something the Gz doesn't do all that well. Not saying it can't take it occasionally. But it's certainly not built to travel the interstate all day long.

Scooting around town, or just shooting down country back roads is where this bike really shines.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
OldF7Guy

Dang scooters have all kinds of storage places. lol I dont doubt for a second they are not practical. I avoid interstates with the sportster if there is anyway possible. It will probably top out at 110 to 115 but not with me on it. Over 65 it will vibrate you to death.

I short trip a lot but do like to take trips. Im a back roads kinda guy anyway and seldom see much more than 6 0. I have been looking at the rpm charts for the GZ and I dont think a sprocket change would be in my best interest. I would have to try one to be sure but if it would pull to 8 grand on flat ground or close to it would be perfect. Gearing them up creates a lugging situation to a degree and that is worse than over revving imo.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
for utility and purpose the scooter was the best of the 3.
Over my riding career I've had 3 scooters. Apart from the Chinese piece of crap that went back to the importers after a couple of months (It was so bad that I got a refund!) I've had no problems. I did find, however, that the balance of a bike (centre of gravity, not so much at the sides to cause pendulum effect etc) is far superior to a scooter. And the GZ is much easier to maneouver through congested traffic.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

I always gravitate to the big Honda and Suzuki scooters in a dealership and then run and hide after looking at the price tag. Not ever going to knock a scooter, a lot of folks love them. A few years ago we were on a ferry going to an island off the west coast of Canada and we spied 650 Burgman from New York. That is a long way from home on anything. The scooter was farkled, modded and otherwise equiped to the 9's. The couple riding it made me look like a teenager and I was retired.