Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
davidsuserid

Send a message via AIM to davidsuserid
Replacing the Front Master Cylinder Sight Glass, Anyone?

I have searched all the bike parts websites, i have called two dealers, even found out the gs500 uses the same master cylinder, but i have been unable to find a part number for this stupid thing. The dealers weren't very helpful, all they did was look at the same parts lists i had already looked at, but i was hoping maybe someone knew something i didn't. The cheap replacement brake cylinder I got on ebay has already started showing it's price ( i should have listened to easyrider, sorry guy), but now i finally got my old OEM cylinder apart and ready to go, except for the stupid sight glass. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Replacing the Front Master Cylinder Sight Glass, Anyone?

I'm pretty sure that it's a non-available part. That means it's not meant to be replaced and it only comes pre-installed in a master cylinder.

Sorry.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsuserid
The cheap replacement brake cylinder I got on ebay has already started showing it's price ( i should have listened to easyrider, sorry guy), but now i finally got my old OEM cylinder apart and ready to go, except for the stupid sight glass. Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!
OK, let's try this again.

What exactly is the condition of the sight glass port in the OEM one that you are trying to rebuild?

Let me guess: You got the clouded sight glass out but broke it in the process ??......because it was GLUED in and wasn't intended to ever come out, maybe ?? :roll:

My second guess is that the little sight glass is not available by itself anywhere in the world except in the factory in Japan where they are built.

My third guess is that you are never gonna have it right unless and until you bite the bullet and get a whole new OEM master cylinder.

My fourth guess is that if you elect to try and "create" something yourself to cover that hole, be it transparent or not, you will end up contaminating the whole system and have to rebuild or replace the piston on the lower end too.

Sometimes cheap solutions can get VERY expensive.

The way I see it, your only hope short of a new one is to find a junk yard nearby that is tied into the national network and get a used one. That is also a gamble.

Good luck!
Hope somebody else has some better ideas.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

The only other solution is steal one but that is really bad Karma. I personally would consider a new unit from Suzuki. The front brake is just so very important for safe riding and survival.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
black and blue

Well, I saw a cheap & easy fix concering the sight glass on a front master cylinder at a bike shop a few weeks back. Tha mechanic super glued a penny to the outside of the master cylinder. I guess he applied tha glue to the outside edge around the opening then reached inside the master cylinder and put tha squeeze on the penny till the glue set up. Then he refilled the resevoir, closed it up & bled the brake. As far as I know if, it is still holding. Hope this helps
Later tator

Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
i2kdave

I'd love a new sight glass, myself! :lol:
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by black and blue
mechanic super glued a penny to the outside of the master cylinder
My I know of a Yamaha that has a nickel in place of the sight glass. The owners says it is a perfect fit.

I would not glue a coin to the out side with "Super Glue". Cyanoacrylate has poor shear strength on metals. It is used for some metal working operations to temporarily hold parts together. I would be afraid the penny would come loose and strand me miles from home or help.

In any case, I would replace the master cylinder if there was a problem. I don't think its a good idea to be modifying brake parts.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
mr. softie

What Badbob said :rawk:
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

A one cent repair ??? You get what you pay for. Isn't your health and welfare worth more than that ?? Please do it right.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
speedntriple

Check this site, www.newrivercyclesalvage.com, they make replacement master cylinder sight glass lens kits for bikes.