Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
DJK

I added a windshield

I live about 30 miles from the Dennis Kirk supply store and yesterday I went shopping. I bought a Slip Streamer SS-10 Viper windshield, a jacket, a pair of pants and an accu-gauge. That's a fun place to visit! The windshield went on pretty easily with the help of my wife holding it in place a couple times. I then went for about an hour ride to try it out. It was just like I read on here, a lot less wind hitting me, but a lot more noise going on in my helmet. Overall, I think I'm going to like it.
This weekend I'm going to put on saddlebag brackets and saddlebags. I bought the brackets that said use the existing bolts, but they're no where near long enough. I have a feeling it's going to be challenging taking those bolts out and putting in longer ones. Any tips that might help me would be appreciated.
I really like my first motorcycle and enjoy this website a lot.

Dan

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: I added a windshield

2 things to do. Wear ear plugs or you will damage your hearing for the rest of your life.
For the brackets and longer bolts here is what I would do. Remove one bolt and go to the local big box hardware for longer bolts as needed. When installing the brackets do not ever remove all the bolts at the same time. Take one out and loosely install the longer bolt and bracket end. Repeat. Now do the other side the same way. Then you can tighten up the bolts as required. Have fun with the wrenching.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
mrlmd1

If you can jack up the bike to get the rear wheel hanging down a bit, or put the shocks on the highest setting, you will have a little more room to get your fingers and a wrench in there under the fender to more easily access the nuts on the end of the bolts. Like WW said, do one at a time otherwise it's a bitch to get everything lined up to get the new bolts in.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
mrlmd1

Also, forgot to mention in the previous post - you can vary the wind noise/buffeting by changing slightly the angle of the windshield by adjusting all the brackets. Not too vertical, not too racked back, ideally about parallel to the angle of the forks and then play with it just a little 'till you get it right for you.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
DJK

I got the brackets and saddlebags on today and it went better than I expected. I tried really hard to relax and stay calm and I think that helped. I am going to try making small changes in the windshield angle, thanks for that suggestion mrlmd1.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
cayuse

I have the Spitfire windshield and I have fiddled with it some but have never eliminated the howling effect of the wind on my helmet. Without the windshield the ride is much quieter but I like the wind-blocking effect on my body and the looks of it.
Take WW's advice and wear hearing protection. I use these:
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7 ... s-Uncorded
They are the BEST! They eliminate 95% of the wind noise and I can hear my engine again. I can wear them all day without discomfort and they don't block low frequency noise a lot so you can still talk, hear traffic, etc.
I never ride without them.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 05-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
grego

cayuse

i have a spitfire i just installed and i haven't noticed any hollowing. i noticed in your avatar that yours is much higher then mine. the bottom of mine sits on the headlight.perhaps i'm mistaken but it looks like yours is above the headlight. i would like to get it just a bit higher so the wind would go over me. if i sit back a little i don't feel the wind getting under my full shield helmet. i don't feel it at all with my full face. but the instructions said to have it lay on the headlight so it doesn't vibrate. is yours above or on the headlight and if its above does it vibrate? oh one other thing the fastest i've gone on the bike is 60mph so perhaps i haven't gone fast enough for it to hollowing

safe riding
grego
Old 05-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego
cayuse

i have a spitfire i just installed and i haven't noticed any hollowing. i noticed in your avatar that yours is much higher then mine. the bottom of mine sits on the headlight.perhaps i'm mistaken but it looks like yours is above the headlight. i would like to get it just a bit higher so the wind would go over me. if i sit back a little i don't feel the wind getting under my full shield helmet. i don't feel it at all with my full face. but the instructions said to have it lay on the headlight so it doesn't vibrate. is yours above or on the headlight and if its above does it vibrate? oh one other thing the fastest i've gone on the bike is 60mph so perhaps i haven't gone fast enough for it to hollowing

safe riding
grego
When I had my "spitfire",I had it about half way up against the speedometer to keep it from vibrating.I put a clear furniture bumper between the bottom of the shield & the speedo to keep it from marking the chrome.
:cool:

Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
grego

blaine

thanks for the info......so much for instructions. the windshield lays against the speedo now. will raise it up some and find something to put between the shield and the speedo.

safe biking

grego
Old 05-31-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
cayuse

Hi Grego,
I mounted mine about an inch below the top of the speedo. Mine already had a rubber edge on it so I had no qualms about marking up the speedo. It's very stable in this configuration.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA