Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
rkgz250

Hi All... new rider in philly suburbs.

I am new to motorcycling. Just bought gz250. Super excited!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Gz Rider

Re: Hi All... new rider in philly suburbs.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
blaine

Welcome to the forum. :cool:

Old 10-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
rkgz250

Thanks. I am finding this forum very helpful already. Went through lot of threads on beginner stuff.

BTW, what kind of jacket/pants you would suggest? Do they come with armor or need to buy that separately.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgz250
Thanks. I am finding this forum very helpful already. Went through lot of threads on beginner stuff.

BTW, what kind of jacket/pants you would suggest? Do they come with armor or need to buy that separately.

Thanks.
Welcome to the fold. Jackets and pants are a great idea if you really hate scars and road rash. MotorcycleGear.com has a nice closeout section for some excellant bargains. I personally wear Joe Rocket stuff and it works for me. They have a textile waterproof jacket for $51(mine is in the mail with optional CE approved backpad)and also look at The AlterEgo models of pants and jacket. I have the older AE pants and they are a decent fit and comfy. As a side note I'll add this about inside rain liners, too inconvenient so plan on an actual rain suit in time. Cheaper at a work wear store.
Glove, you gotta have gloves. Be leary of ordering online. Find a shop and try on lots of bike gloves for fit and flexability. Some fingers are just a little short and will never feel comfy. Test sit a couple pair on a bike and feel how they feel gripping the bars.
It's all about comfort. If you aren't comfy you won't want to wear the gear. Boots and headgear also need an on the spot fitting for comfort. Have fun and ride safe.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Gz Rider

Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgz250

Thanks.
I'll let someone else make jacket and helmet recommendations. For legs I use these:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-shin-guards/

They don't offer the same protection that full pants do but I find I'm much more willing to wear these then pants. The fit well under long pants and nobody ever notices them like that. When I wear shorts, I get looks like, "what's wrong with that guys legs" or maybe "Hey mister, I saw Mad max go that way"!

For me, I think they would save my legs from a stupid fall at 30 MPH or less. Over that speed, THEY are probably wearing ME for protection!
Spiffy leg protection you got there. Can't knock the price either.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
Gz Rider

Old 10-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Yeah, dress funny and make a statement at the same time. The kids probably imagine you are a Zombie Hunter out for a stroll. Armor is cheaper and easier to acquire than human body parts that fit.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Was just scouting Joe Rocket stuff and realized the Atomic 3 is only $69 on closeout. Better vented than my Atomic 2 model. A really comfy jacket and my fav for the last 6 years.

Surprise ! My new $51 dollar arrived today. Boy is that thing a busy jacket till all the zippers and folds are sorted out. Should work well for it's intended purpose though. I bought one size larger with the idea of wearing my TourMaster heated full jacket liner under it. Not too bad a fit but a ride will tell the real story. Now I can be warm and waterproof without a rainsuit and any other heavy clothing.