Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Rookie Rider

motorcycle club.

Im gonna start looking at a motorcycle club to join because i think i dont ride enough because im always alone and its boring after awhile, know what i mean ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: motorcycle club.

That is one side of the equation. I like riding alone with no one to keep track of in heavy traffic or on unfamiliar roads. I can always just wander around with no destination in mind. Group rides were a bit of a challenge when I tried them. Part of the group was a bit too racey and always wound up too far ahead which eventually lead to 2 groups texting back and forth to meet up again somewhere.
Unless you get involved with a very well organised group that is very safety oriented you have a greater risk of a mishap.
One group ride I was on went fairly well. Before heading out 2 of the riders said they would be enjoying the twisties at high speeds in a certain section of road so don't even try to keep up. That was more than acceptable to all involved and we would catch up to them at the lunch destination.
The ride back was pleasant at the speed limit until one dufus showed how well he could pass using his cruise control and his hands in his lap. I didn't get it then and never will. Why do something that can lead to disaster.
Yeah, I am negative concerning group rides but with good reason. Start a group or join a group but be really sure it is a safe group to avoid any risk. Ride safe.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Rookie Rider

I hear ya WW, i do want to be safe at all times. I will be going to an open house at this motorcycle club and get a feel for it/them. It will be in the future if i join, when i move up with a new bike. Thanks alot for your opinion.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
I hear ya WW, i do want to be safe at all times. I will be going to an open house at this motorcycle club and get a feel for it/them. It will be in the future if i join, when i move up with a new bike. Thanks alot for your opinion.
Be on the alert for the testosterone level once you get in a group ride. Some riders just have to be the Big Dog no matter what the situation.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
clonak

I have been quite keen for some group rides for awhile now, just havent had the chance to get to one. Theres a local website/forum where people can post planned group rides. One general rule I found in the organising them is a leader and a tail end charlie, No one goes in front or no one drops behind, doesnt matter how fast/slow you are. The TEC will always ride at your pace. Theres usually a no passing rule as well. That doesnt go for all group rides, it depends on the participants. But be weary of groups that dont adhear to those, they can, as WW said, be challenging. Specially if you are the last one, and dont know the route.

I did ride with about 5 guys awhile back, on >400cc sports bikes, and me on the GZ. Came to a set of lights and a couple of them decided to race off. One guy stayed back with me though.

I think it would be a great idea if you could find a nice group, that matches your riding personality. Of course you are always going to get differnt people in a club/group. But if there are enough of you at the same pace, its all good.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Clonak, absolutely correct. From what I have read about proper group rides there is a designated leader and a sweeper bringing up the rear. No one is forced to ride above their skill level and no one is ever left behind to play catch up and endanger themselves or others on the road.

One of the locals at StarBucks was relating a recent event that was JUST PLAIN WRONG. I do not know where this happened. It seems a fairly new female rider was riding above her skill level at the tail end of a group. As luck would have it she crashed and broke the bike but was unharmed herself. When she was finally missed the group returned to find a well shaken young gal with an unridable bike. They continued on without her. That is one group of misfits that need a lesson about being human and caring about others.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

RR, just make sure you aren't joining some kind of "our dogma above all others" type of gang.
A riding club is one thing. Motorcycle goonies are another.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
bonehead

What club? There are other ways to go too. Rider groups, and associations. That's without all the probationary periods. If you choose to join a M/C, it is a long process with most of them. Anyway, good luck. BTW, if ya wanna know the difference, just google m/c and it will show you the levels of affiliations, and you can determine which one is best for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Exactly.
From what I gather from most people on this site, no one here would be interested in joining a club. Riders associations, which are just normal people getting together to ride, seem to be the most sensible option.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Rookie Rider

If im riding with a club or group and they want to take off on me and take fast turns etc. then thats on them. I dont ride agressive or crazy, i just ride. I told a few of the guys in the club im gonna look at, that im a new rider, its my second season and i have alot to learn still. They were cool about that and said some of them take sunday morning rides outside the club and its relaxing and calm. Then they said , now, riding with the club is a whole other story. Lol. The club im looking at does prospect for 1year and has a monthly payment that i would have to hand in, $80-$100 bucks a month which is alot to me.