Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
dentheman

I almost dropped my Shadow today.

In front of my house, I'm at a stop sign, going to turn right. I give her some throttle and let out the clutch and she stalls. It was my fault, she was in second gear. Luckily the right footpeg held her up at about a 45 degree angle instead of folding. I will tell you that lifting 500+ lbs of dead weight from that angle is no fun. I took her home and parked her for the day, then took a couple ibuprofen as my lower back was complaining a bit. This brings out one thing I don't like about the Shadow, that is that when in first the shifter still has downward play, as if in some other gear. So I keep pushing the shifter to insure it is in first, and the one time I don't do it, she is in second. I recall when riding a GZ during the MSF course that the shifter wouldn't move down any further when in first, giving a positive indication.

I have also had a couple somewhat close calls of cars pulling out in front of me from the right. It was obvious those drivers were surprised once they saw me. These things have all happened within one block of my house, at low speed. I much prefer riding on a highway to riding in a residential area.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: I almost dropped my Shadow today.

Argh...........I know all too well about picking up a bike. Take care of your back as it has to last a life time.

They didn't see you for what reason? Could be time to always run hi-beam and get some extra lighting on the bike. Don't be afraid to wear a bright vest and make a spectacle of yourself. They do work and aren't all that costly. You have to become bigger and more noticeable to oncoming traffic and half blind drivers who just glance left and right expecting to see a car or bigger vehicle. A bike is not on their menu of things to avoid.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
mrlmd1

Get a headlight modulator!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
My daughter wants me to get a headlight modulator, I will research it.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
My daughter wants me to get a headlight modulator, I will research it.
You will find 3 different makes of modulators available. Get the most expensive one. I have forgotten the names of them but the good one that will actually last is the high $ unit. Found out by trial and error.
They are legal in the U.S. and Canada which have the identical specs and requirements.

Both of our bikes modulate on high beam which is the most noticeable.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
mrlmd1

They are supposed to be hooked up to the high beam. Mine from Signal Dynamics has been going without fail for the past four years, as is the brakelight modulator.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
They are supposed to be hooked up to the high beam. Mine from Signal Dynamics has been going without fail for the past four years, as is the brakelight modulator.
That is the one that died on Lynda's GZ after a season of riding. Maybe it was not up to par from the start. Stuff does happen.
My Vstrom has a Kisan unit and has been going strong for 6 years now. Lynda's M-50 also has a Kisan unit.