Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
turboturtle2000

No lights, no start

Hey guys, 06 model here. Ride the bike 4 or 5 days a week and it just decided to take a dump. Was running fine when I shut it off. Next day, turned the key, no lights (headlight, brake light, no signals, no neutral light) and no response from starter (not even a click). Tried the next day with the same results. It'll bump start, but she's real unhappy about it and it runs like total garbage. It'll idle poorly, but when you crack the throttle it hesitates and then pulses in gear so that if you try and ride it bucks real bad and isn't ridable at all in 3rd gear and up (no throttle input at all). Fuses under the seat all check out. I'm thinking its a bad ignition cylinder; it would explain the no lights and the running poorly almost sounds like no spark, maybe just turning over on compression? I'm really not sure.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
turboturtle2000

Only other problems I've had with it is a weird high idle in neutral, burning a tiny amount of oil (not enough to top off between changes), weeping some oil from the exhaust manifold and associated smoking, and it backfired on me once. The battery went flat over a prolonged period of sitting but it push started right up with no issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180727_144040.jpg (92.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

I would start with having the battery checked regardless of how old or new it is.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
BladeVortex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
I would start with having the battery checked regardless of how old or new it is.
+1 Sounds like a problem that I had as well. I fixed it by replacing the battery. They are temperamental things as they get older, and despite putting out 12.6 volts or whatever full charge is, they can put out close to no amps at full voltage when they've sulphated in an inconvenient way.

I recommend changing the battery. If you have a nice auto store near you, just bring your hex keys and a screwdriver and try the new battery in front of them, and they might let you return it if it doesn't solve your problem.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Gunk

You can always have the battery tested. Find your local auto parts store, bring the battery in, and they can put it on a tester to see if it's any good.

If it's just dead, you might have to check your stators health.

Did the bike die while riding? Was it a gradual decline in power, or did it just cut out?