Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

The GZ as a work of art

Now that I have had my bike for a while, and have gotten more familiar with the design, construction and overall appearance, I'm starting to gain an appreciation for its intrinsic aesthetic beauty.

I'm not really much of an artsy guy, but I do have a fondness for things that combine form and function in a seamless manner. The GZ seems to be a very simple yet solid design with exactly the right mix of elements you need and nothing added that detracts from the basic mission of being a motorcycle. People that are not MC enthusiasts seem to get this intuitively. Even though most of us view the GZ as a starter or beginner's bike, the reaction from the general public is more like, "Nice bike!"

And it is! From the simple curves of the fenders to the suspension springs, to the powdered aluminum (?) look of the fork, simple speedo/headlight combo - it's a very elegant yet workmanlike package.

No offense to the "modders" but I would have real qualms about making any significant alteration to the basic components for fear I would destroy the understated power of its classic design.

Anybody know if it has won any design awards?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: The GZ as a work of art

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'm starting to gain an appreciation for its intrinsic aesthetic beauty.

the reaction from the general public is more like, "Nice bike!"
Yes, I do agree. It is kind of like the Universal Japanese Cruiser (UJC).
I have a hard time recognizing them on the street because of the universal design, that mimics features of larger machines.

You do realize, however, that "Nice bike" is pretty much of a universal greeting to ANYBODY riding ANY KIND of motorcycle, don't you ?? :biggrin:
Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
You do realize, however, that "Nice bike" is pretty much of a universal greeting to ANYBODY riding ANY KIND of motorcycle, don't you ??
Not sure I totally agree. Out here sport bikes have a connotation as being ridden by a-holes that ride recklessly, speed in between the lanes and generally terrorize the cagers. (It's not accurate, but the offenders do tend to favor sport bikes.) Harleys are known for being extra loud, their riders being the "Hey, look at me, I'm on a Harley!" sort, and also are associated with motorcycle gangs (Angels, Mongols, etc.) (Of course, they make some very good looking bikes and are probably the most envied ride out here despite their negatives.)

Other smaller bikes, like, say, the Rebel, just look sort of, well, small! I think the front wheel is smaller and it has a smaller gas tank, but I'm not sure exactly why they look a little weak next to a GZ.

At first I found myself saying, somewhat sheepishly, "Well, it's just a 250", until I realized that most non-riders don't even know what a "250" is. Now I just agree with them, "Yes, it IS a nice bike, isn't!"

Very nice.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
You do realize, however, that "Nice bike" is pretty much of a universal greeting to ANYBODY riding ANY KIND of motorcycle, don't you ??
Not sure I totally agree.
A slight clarification is in order.

First, the person ON the bike must be somebody that you WANT to greet. That does leave out quite a few.

My second greeting is: Nice bike. Too bad you can't afford a decent muffler.
I use that one VERY sparingly. :skull:

Around here it is true,though, that some of the best looking bikes, and with decent looking riders, often have the loudest pipes. Some people just never grow up, I guess. :roll:
Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Really gotta agree with Alan about the lines of the GZ. It has a very nice appearance with just enough styling to make it noticeable but not overwhelming like some other rides. Nonriders see it and do say nice bike b/c it is just that. It also appears to be larger when not in company of larger more powerful cruisers. Lynda had a sport rider ask if it was a 750 just after she got it. The full front fender and wider larger tank give the GZ a presence that the Rebel and 250 Virago will never have.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The full front fender and wider larger tank give the GZ a presence that the Rebel and 250 Virago will never have.
YEA, take THAT you wimp riders. Our bike is better. :neener: :crackup

Oh, and the black ones look even BIGGER......and they are faster! :biggrin:
Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
goneoutflying

I think most bikers have at least something in mind that they wish was different about their bikes.

But If you try to please everybody, nobody will like it.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Motor,

Having had all of six month's experience on a bike (I don't even know what the difference is between a cruiser and a cafe racer) most of my impressions and perspective are kind of unrefined at this point. It'd be pretty stupid of me to dive right in and start messing with things without having any idea what I was doing or why.

Also, I've commented elsewhere that I'm generally not the modifiying or customizing type, unless it's pretty innocuous (windshield, or some practical widget - I put aerobars, custom pedals and a cadence/speedo on my fancy road bicycle so I'm not totally immune.)

I think I also have a perverse desire to mainly leave things as designed, especially if they are pretty utilitarian to begin with. When I see a lowered Camry with spinning rims, I don't get it. In the other hand, I understand the appeal of the custom bikes like the ones they build on American Chopper. The GZ seems like a pretty modest, unassuming form of transportation and there is, to me at least, a kind of beauty in its simplicity.