Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
jljowers

Spark Plug change

I am wanting to change the spark plug in my GZ and have encountered some problems. I am not sure if the plug has ever been changed and I want to change it for peace of mind. I noticed in the service manual/owners manual that it says that the spark plug should be removed with a tool that was included with the tool kit that should have came with this bike. Used bike=no tool kit. I removed the cylinder head cover and found the spark plug. I see that there is a cover on the plug and attempted to remove the cap by hand. Is this possible? I did not apply much pressure in fear of harming something. So needless to say I failed in my attempt to change the plug. Can this be done with anything other than the Suzuki spark plug wrench and if so what should I use to extract the old plug? Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-13-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Just get a boot remover from any auto part store. Or, grip and pull a little harder. All thats in there is an aluminum piece that clips over the tip of the plug. Just like on your car, lawn mower .... all the same. To remove the plug after you get the boot off .... a piece of hose will work, just slip it on to the tip of the plug and lift. Or, most auto stores sell little rubber hose extractors with a small handle on it.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Spark Plug change

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljowers
I see that there is a cover on the plug and attempted to remove the cap by hand. Is this possible?
Yes, however, the metal cap at the end of the wire is usually quite tight AND the rubber boot often develops a "suction hold" on the plug body SO it is normal to have to pull hard (and bust your knuckles when it comes loose). Rotating the boot slightly while pulling often helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljowers
Can this be done with anything other than the Suzuki spark plug wrench and if so what should I use to extract the old plug? Thanks!
Any Jap bike shop can sell you a plug tool. Auto shops too, just take a plug with you to be sure you get the right size. Because of the limited space, you need a short plug socket, with either a hex top to fit a wrench onto OR holes near the top to put a rod or screwdriver into (the type in the tool kit, I think).

How old is the bike? You might want to squirt a little penetrating oil on the very bottom the night before you tackle it again.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
jljowers

Re: Spark Plug change

How old is the bike? You might want to squirt a little penetrating oil on the very bottom the night before you tackle it again.[/quote]

2002 GZ250. I did not even think about using any penetrating oil. PB Blaster maybe?
Old 07-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
I just replaced mine not to long ago. it's a 2000 with 3500 miles on it at the time. I didn't think it was wore out, I just wanted to replace it with a long life platinum or iridium plug and forget about it. I was also curious to check the plug since the bike seemed to be running rich. To my surprise the plug was loose which explained why it idled like crap. I inspected it and it didn't look like it was running as rich as I had thought.