Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Reyji

Starting it up is a bit stubborn

Hello!

I just purchased an 08 model with about 3700 km a few days ago and rode it all weekend. It's a super fun bike to ride and so far I'm glad I purchased it since I am a brand new rider. I am the second owner and it looks practically brand new. One thing that concerns me and I don't know if this is normal for this bike or not. When the bike sits for a few hours or over night I have a hard time starting it with the electric starter. It starts but will soon die out. I have to use the choke everyday let it run for a few minutes until it warms up. When I start riding it for a good while and the motor is still warm and turn it off. I have no problems starting the bike obviously because the motor is still warm. Its only after a few hours or when the bike is very cooled down that I find it difficult to start. I have to start it a few times because the starter dosen't start right away or I have to use the throttle to get it warmed up enough so that it starts other wise it will just die down on me. Is this normal for the bike to behave this way? I thought the electric starter would start working on the first try even if the motor has been cooled down after a few hours? Is there anything I need to adjust so that it just starts smoothly without being stubborn? Your expertise and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Rey

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Starting it up is a bit stubborn

First off, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. From your description it sounds like your bike is performing as it is meant to perform. The GZ is a wee bit cold blooded and will normally require choke to start up a cold engine. As time goes on you will learn more and be more comfortable with your bike and it's personality. Ride Safe.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Reyji

Hello!

Glad to be here and happy to have found this forum. Thanks for your reassurance I had a feeling that this was normal behavior for this bike. I feel better now and I will get used to starting the bike more effectively. I feel very comfortable riding my bike after only a few days. I rode a Virago 250 on my motorcycle training course and felt confident riding it so I decided to stick with a 250 for my first bike. I'm also a short rider so I'm glad I make that decision. I came close to purchasing a Virago 250 but when I saw a new GZ 250 at a dealer I liked the look of the Suzuki more. Then I found my bike at Craigslist and got a pretty decent deal for it so I made an offer on the spot. Saved a few hundred bucks and looks practically brand new new!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
blaine

Welcome.As W.W. stated these bikes are cold blooded they are very lean from the factory.I found that drilling out plug and adjusting Idle jet made bike much less cold blooded and less choke needed and easier to start at all temperatures.Check under "Performance mods" for info on drilling out plug and adjustment of idle jet.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyji
It starts but will soon die out. I have to use the choke everyday let it run for a few minutes until it warms up.
Do NOT be afraid to use whatever amount of choke you need to keep it running until it warms up.

What you described is absolutely normal.

Typically it WILL need at least 1/2 choke to start when cold...or cooled off...and then you reduce the choke slowly as it warms up.

It is OK to ride it with the choke still on a bit.

The "electric starter" really has nothing to do with how it runs after it fires up.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Reyji

Thanks for your tips I really appreciate your advice. I'm still getting to know my bike and I feel like were going to get along just fine
Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
5th_bike

You will learn that when the weather is cold, you need full choke to start and you may need 3/4 to half choke for more than half a mile to keep the engine going. And when it's warm or the engine is still warm, you can start with 1/2 to 2/3 choke and turn it down just after you start riding.

I always use the choke, except when the engine is hot.

Quote:
I'm still getting to know my bike and I feel like were going to get along just fine
Yesterday, riding home from work, I had a strong feeling that the bike was actually happy. :rawk:
Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
You will learn that when the weather is cold, you need full choke to start and you may need 3/4 to half choke for more than half a mile to keep the engine going. And when it's warm or the engine is still warm, you can start with 1/2 to 2/3 choke and turn it down just after you start riding.

I always use the choke, except when the engine is hot.

Quote:
I'm still getting to know my bike and I feel like were going to get along just fine
Yesterday, riding home from work, I had a strong feeling that the bike was actually happy. :rawk:
Of course it was happy. A little exercise goes a long way.