Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
dentheman

Some questions about EFI.

I have some questions concerning electronic fuel injected bikes, specifically the TU250.

1). What is the purpose of the FI light in the speedometer?

2). Is there a 'computer' that measures certain parameters before the bike is started? (possibly the answer to question #1.)

3). Can an EFI bike be push started if the battery is dead, or is electric power required for fuel to flow?

4). Are there any other peculiarities between an EFI and carbureted bike? (I know there is no choke on EFI.)

Thanks, Den.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Some questions about EFI.

The FI light will come on when you turn the key on with the kill switch in the run position. It should go out when the engine starts if all is well. It will also come on when the computer detects a fault in the system. Depending on the bike you can find the fault code yourself or rely on a dealer. Yes you can push start a FI bike but there has to be enough power in the battery to build some fuel pressure and run the ignition system. FI bikes run very well in my experience and are far more reliable with the added ability to track down problems with fault codes.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
dentheman

Thanks, WW. Another question I forgot to ask: Does the EFI system compensate for changes in barometric pressure so the bike runs well at different altitudes?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Thanks, WW. Another question I forgot to ask: Does the EFI system compensate for changes in barometric pressure so the bike runs well at different altitudes?
Highly unlikely. Internal combustion engines tend to loose 7% of their power for every 1000 ft of altitude above sea level. FI and carb bikes both operate on the same atmospheric pressure. Both the Vstrom(FI) and the GZ(carb) ran well across the Rocky Mountains and across the prairies. Here at home we are just a hair above sea level and the bikes always ran well for us. As long as a bike is well maintained it really shouldn't make any difference if it is FI or carbs. FI is of course a bit more efficient and cleaner burning. Also no choke(enrichener) to muck with. They can also be tuned electronically for better performance but I tend to leave well enough alone.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Highly unlikely.
I agree......for a bike in the range of the TU....because of price/cost.

For higher end bikes and cars.....I think the answer is: Yes, they likely DO have that ability.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Sarris

My Harley EFI will compensate for barometric pressure changes.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
dentheman

Thanks for the informative replies. I did some searching and came across this article that explains the basics: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/moto ... basics.htm
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
dhgeyer

Although you didn't ask this question, there are two types of EFI: open loop and closed loop. I'm not an expert, but the basic difference is that closed loop systems have an O2 sensor in the exhaust system, and are more sophisticated. They also seem to be coupled with catalytic converters, and thus pollute much less than open loop EFI or carbureted bikes. The TU250 is a closed loop system with a cat, and, among other advantages, is much cleaner than the GZ250.