Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 02-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Blitzburgh7sb

My GZ and S40(Savage 650) comparison

It came to my attention that some of you might be interested in comparisons with the gz and the Suzuki s40 (savage 650). I own both bikes. I wanted to point out that I am relatively new to riding but I have put a fair amount of miles on both. I bought the gz to learn on and since I was not sure I would like riding I did not want to spend much money and it served that purpose well. I bought the s40 for more power and the ability to cruise more comfortably at higher speeds and it does that well.

First of all I really like them both and plan to keep them. I ride the gz to work that is all stop and go with no speeds over 50 mph. I ride the big thumper everywhere else. The s40 is very maneuverable, easy to handle for a 650 but the gz is still easier to drive in close tight traffic.

One of the questions presented to me was the difference in power. I can only speak for myself and since the 650 is the biggest bike I have ridden my opinion can only compare the 2. The 650 has considerable low-end torque and takes off quickly and very smoothly thanks to the belt drive. What I really like is the mid level throttle response when I really need it. The gz lacks that “shit I need to get past that a&^$# because I know they don’t see me while they’re staring at that cell phone” cage driver :fu: .

The s40 also feels more stable at 60+ mph speeds. It is still quite light and is vulnerable to the wind and such like the gz but that little extra weight is noticeable.

My s40 is plenty fast for me but like the gz is comes EPA restricted. Here is where the difference between the 2 is the greatest. There are many easy and inexpensive mods that can significantly increase the HP edit 10-15% not (20-25%) :rawk: . I have a Harley dyna muffler ready to bolt on and just waiting on the jet kit and K&N filter that are needed to properly tune the bike the way it should have been. Right now I get about 55 mpg avg on it and all my research has shown the mods I plan will drop it about 3-5 mpg, depending of course on the how hard I hit it. I can live with that.

I hope that I have added at least a small amount of usefull info to a site that has given me so much. I would be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: My GZ and S40(Savage 650) comparison

Thank you. A comparison by a rider who has both bikes in the stable is always welcome. How do you find the comfort level ? Do you find the S-40 much larger physically or just a smidget ?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
Blitzburgh7sb

Side by side the gz looks to be a bigger bike that is b/c the gas tank is noticeably larger/wider. When riding though the s40 allows me to sit back at a more comfortable position for the legs - I am 5'7" and 160lbs. They both are comfortable for my arms neither reach or scrunch.

It took me some time to mentally adjust to the maneuvering capabilities because I ride both bikes daily. You can get away with things on the gz that can cause you problems on the savage. The 650 is heavier (obviously) but where the weight is centrally/forward and higher up makes slow turns (parking lot) and tight traffic more challenging but not difficult - I guess just different.

ps I find the seat on the gz more comfortable and many savage/s40 owners replace the seat if they take longer rides. Some harley sportster seats have an easy mod as a replacement.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
alanmcorcoran

Good comparison. I second your opinion that the GZ is really well suited to going to work cheaply, easy and comfortably if your route is not faster than 50mph or thereabouts. Easy to hop on, easy to maneuver in traffic, goes a long way on a tank and easy to hop off. I feel more relaxed and confident on the GZ and, as a result, I wear less onerous gear (blue jeans, 3/4 helmet, mesh jacket, sometimes tennis shoes/clothes.) Excellent for splitting lanes too, although, not much good on the freeway when it's actually moving.

Above a 30 minute commute, and anything more than brief bursts of 60 plus, and it's lack of power really rears it's ugly head. It's also more tiring to ride in wind than my heavier bikes.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
rhollandphoto

Great comparison and replies.

I'm a new GZ 250 owner and really like it for around my somewhat little town. Almost like a scooter (in a good way) and the mileage is amazing. I think my only real complaint is the short first gear but no biggie.
No way I'm taking it on the highway though or on very long trips. So, I've been looking, dreaming of and riding other bikes and first considered an S 40 or S 50. Then pretty much told myself that if i'm going bigger I may as well get a very different machine. I've tried a Suzuki C 50 - it seems huge for an 800cc but I like it. Seems like a 1300cc or so would right similar to the C 50 too(?) I also see there are some great deals on brand new Honda VTX 1300's which are 2007 model years that never sold.

Bottom line - I'd love to hear more thoughts on everyone's "other bike" choices.

Thanks - Robert

Old 03-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

You might like the C-50 as a next bike once you have some experience and developed your riding skills. The GZ is a great trainer for new riders. Lynda graduated from her GZ to an M-50 and really likes the size and power but the weight was a bit of a learning curve for a 5'3" rider. I almost bought the C-50T last summer after a lot of thought and a ride.
The S-50 would be a nice upgrade too. Sportier than the other 50 series bikes and lighter too. Not my choice as it would not be a long distance bike in my opinion. The M can be made into a touring bike easier and has the benefit of shaft drive, FI, a larger tank and more aftermarket stuff just like the C-50. Any bike can be made into a tour bike when the desire is there.

Lynda's GZ and her present M-50.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
hacc81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
You might like the C-50 as a next bike once you have some experience and developed your riding skills. The GZ is a great trainer for new riders. Lynda graduated from her GZ to an M-50 and really likes the size and power but the weight was a bit of a learning curve for a 5'3" rider. I almost bought the C-50T last summer after a lot of thought and a ride.
The S-50 would be a nice upgrade too. Sportier than the other 50 series bikes and lighter too. Not my choice as it would not be a long distance bike in my opinion. The M can be made into a touring bike easier and has the benefit of shaft drive, FI, a larger tank and more aftermarket stuff just like the C-50. Any bike can be made into a tour bike when the desire is there.

Lynda's GZ and her present M-50.
Hey Water Warrior, great looking bikes you have!
Actually, I was about to ask the forum something similar as rhollandphoto did, because I've been riding for about 2 months now and, don't get me wrong, I really like my GZ!! :2tup: ... The only issue is that I just went back to school and now I have to commute everyday (about 80 kms round trip). So far I've been taking the back roads to get to the university, but sometimes when I'm late or I need to get earlier I'd really like to be able to take the highway... I tried once, and it felt like the engine was about to explode!! I mean, it sound it like it would not last long if I kept that pace :lol: (100 km/h or 60 mph). Maybe I'm just exaggerating because I guess I'm not used to the bike's engine sound :??: I don't know...

To make the long story short (even though is not that short anymore...) I'm starting to feel that probably the GZ is not the best choice for what I have to do now (daily commute) and I'm gonna need a bigger bike soon, maybe 2-3 months from now when I feel confident enough ridding to handle a bigger, heavier, and more powerful bike. Having said that, I was starting to look for bigger bikes just to have an idea of the budget, and I came across the Boulevard M50 Special Edition (black/orange, beautiful bike!) and the H-D Sportster XL883L Superlow (is more money, but they have good finance plans)... Anyway, what do you guys think about these 2 models? Have any of you driven both bikes? Any preferences? Is it a fair comparison? :??:

All comments are accepted... Thanks a lot!
hacc81

PS: I guess I'll post it in a separated discussion so I don't interfere with this one. :whistle:
Old 03-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
blaine

I own a EN450 (454Ltd).It is almost the same as a Vulcan 500.I love the power and light weight.IMO They are much better than the Suzuki 650 (S40).They are much smoother,and more powerful.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

The GZ won't blow up at 100 kp/h on your commute to and from school. If you are riding on Highway #1 you will want to be very visible and very alert. The bike doesn't have much left if you suddenly need to get out of some one's way. Keep riding the GZ and love it for what it is. The longer you ride it the more it can teach you.
By the time Lynda had ridden her GZ to Manitoba and back she had experienced every road surface and scenario possible except for ice. She knew the strengths and weakness' of the bike and so the object of her search for a new bike was to address the weak side of the equation. The M-50 did the trick with some mods to make it fit better.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
rhollandphoto

Water Warrior - thanks for info. How is the M50 on an Interstate or hwy?