Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > GZ250 Media

Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Suncross

Standard 2007 GZ250

Here is my bike. New to motorcycling. Honestly I wish I picked up a 750cc engine. Something that will get me to 70 from 0 safely, and maintain 70-90mph on the interstate so I don't get run over. Honestly I don't think I will ever take my 250 on the interstate. I got it to 75 on the highway once. I am a pretty big guy too. 260lbs, 5'10''. I just don't want to beat up that engine.

Kind of funny actually. This is my first vehicle also. I have never owned a car. The picture I took isn't the best. I will come back with some other ones. Only if you guys are interested. I am sure you all have seen so many of these things, you probably dream about 'em.

Happy riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
geezer

Re: Standard 2007 GZ250

yeah i feel you, im220 and me and the bike dont really ge along either. well get comfy with turning and balance and then upgrade, please dont feel like you need a bigger bike just cause it cant keep up on the highway. rding is so more in depth than that. you hve to really learn how to ride or you could get yourself killed.msf course go, now
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Suncross

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
yeah i feel you, im220 and me and the bike dont really ge along either. well get comfy with turning and balance and then upgrade, please dont feel like you need a bigger bike just cause it cant keep up on the highway. rding is so more in depth than that. you hve to really learn how to ride or you could get yourself killed.msf course go, now
I don't think I need any more beginner courses. I am going to take an advanced course later on though.

As of now, I feel really comfortable on the bike. I work night shift... and it rains a lot here in FL. So needless to say, I ride my bike at night while in the pouring rain sometimes. I definitely need to practice my parking lot skills. I just can't really find the time really. I cant quite take a 90 degree turn in 2nd gear yet. 15 mph is the max really. Honestly I think all of those close quarter 90 degree turns... should be done in 1st. Should only be done in speeds like 5-15 mph. It's just that some of the pros try to rub speed in your face, lol.

The GZ is just really light for me. I did the HD course on a buell blast. Those things weigh 200 more pounds than the GZ, and even those felt really really light. I think that is a good sign for me, because between 600-1100 lbs are where a lot of cruiser / touring bikes sit at. I was thinking about graduating in ~ a year to some HD sportster or something like that. I am getting mixed messages from riders. Some say HD makes amazing bikes, and they last forever. Others say you can have a serious mechanical malfunction as you are driving it off the lot (brand new). All I know is that the harley people I dealt with in my course are really in it for the sport. I like that.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like the GZ is the best bike for you right now. Here's why !! It won't try to kill you like a faster heavier bike. You have had one riding course and that is a good start. Now do us and yourself a really big favor and buy the following book. "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It is the one and only Bible of bike riding. Read and practice the lessons and you will find cornering and parking lots a lot safer and your skill level will take an upward curve towards the sky. We don't want to hear about you getting hurt out there and the book is just chalk full of info and examples as to why a bike does certain things that may not make sense on occasion. I read it and the 2nd book for more info. Also had a 30 hour riding course to build my skill level. That was after riding for 50 years without a mishap. Bikes are really foolproof once you know the do's and don't's.
Ride for at least a full season before upgrading. Learn what the GZ will do without complaint and still remain reliable. Probably the best 250 out there.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
geezer

so what i gather from reading your posts is that your a first time rider, first time manual trans user, and your already wanting a bigger bike? like i said slow your roll big guy. learn how to turn the bike, that is key. riding has alot more to it than that right hand grip. get some professional help while your still new to this, that way you will develope thr proper techniques for fun and safe riding. im almost out of foot peg on my bike, that is what knowing the technology of riding can do for you.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Suncross

So a year really isn't enough to get the hang of motorcycling? I really won't be able to handle 100 more pounds of bike? lol? I don't mean to laugh at it. I know you guys are just trying to be helpful, but if I cannot learn how to properly ride a motorcycle in about a year, id rather just take my chances. I'll take a look at the book. That name was dropped a few times before, so I will take your word on it.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
geezer

i was under the impression you were a begginer. no go ahead and get a bigger bike then. i agree it sucks to be stuck in the rain on a puny bike but it suckson any bike so try not to let that happen. do what you want,maybe im just to nitpicky but im not happy until i understand the motorcycle to its fullest. i started on a vstar 650. now thats the perfect bike right there!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
alantf

quote="Suncross"] if I cannot learn how to properly ride a motorcycle in about a year, id rather just take my chances. [/quote]

Not a good way to die! YOU think you don't need any more learner courses. YOU think you don't need more than a year to be proficient. YOU'RE laughing at our advice. I've been riding over 45 years, & I still make mistakes. I fear that your over confidence in your own abilities may sadly be your undoing. I sincerely hope not.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
cayuse

quote" I cant quite take a 90 degree turn in 2nd gear yet. "
And you've been riding a year?
"I definitely need to practice my parking lot skills. I just can't really find the time really."

I'm going to guess that most of your riding time is spent doing a pretty mundane commute to and from work.
If you don't want to take another beginners course I really agree with you about getting into an advanced course.

If I were you I'd ride your GZ for all it's worth. Find some twisty back roads and work those corners until the bike feels like it's part of you. Try to learn something new or do something better every time you go out. Flush out survival reactions and replace them with survival skills. Leave work the wrong way every other day just so you can practice a u-turn. There's a LOT to learn on this little bike that will serve you well when you step up to that Rocker.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
Suncross

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
quote" I cant quite take a 90 degree turn in 2nd gear yet. "
And you've been riding a year?
"I definitely need to practice my parking lot skills. I just can't really find the time really."

I'm going to guess that most of your riding time is spent doing a pretty mundane commute to and from work.
If you don't want to take another beginners course I really agree with you about getting into an advanced course.

If I were you I'd ride your GZ for all it's worth. Find some twisty back roads and work those corners until the bike feels like it's part of you. Try to learn something new or do something better every time you go out. Flush out survival reactions and replace them with survival skills. Leave work the wrong way every other day just so you can practice a u-turn. There's a LOT to learn on this little bike that will serve you well when you step up to that Rocker.
Oh yeah that's why I got it. I had planned on getting a small 250, by the advice of other riders. I searched on my local craigslist for months. It wasn't until about last month a dealer shot me a photo of that bike. It was the only 250cc that had been in the dealership in months according to them. Sounded kind of odd, because the honda rebel is a pretty popular bike as well if I am not mistaken. I jumped on it, and I am glad I did.

No I have not been riding a year. I stated in a previous post that in about a years time (or at least until next july), I will be upgrading. Because this is my "main" transportation, rain or not, I need a bike that is much safer on the interstate. I think I will have enough time to get in some great parking lot practice sessions on that bike. I am sorry. I have had people tell me my bike can go on the interstate, but I have spent an abnormal amount of time driving between orlando and tampa to know that people are complete buffoons. I have heard horror stories about ft. lauderdale and miami. Also been driving between orlando and atlanta a lot. Insanity I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncross
if I cannot learn how to properly ride a motorcycle in about a year, id rather just take my chances.
Not a good way to die! YOU think you don't need any more learner courses.
I never said that. I directly said that I plan on taking advanced rider courses. There is absolutely no reason for me to take an endorsement-type class again. It won't help me progress at all. I have never been to MSF, but I will check it out. Maybe they offer this vast array of beginner courses I just don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
i was under the impression you were a begginer. no go ahead and get a bigger bike then. i agree it sucks to be stuck in the rain on a puny bike but it suckson any bike so try not to let that happen. do what you want,maybe im just to nitpicky but im not happy until i understand the motorcycle to its fullest. i started on a vstar 650. now thats the perfect bike right there!
Yeah I mean I am grateful for the advice. I've never encountered more enthusiastic people about driving, other than with motorcycles. I rode with another person once, and it was a great experience. I can't wait to get in a huge pack of like 100 and roar down an interstate one day. I just don't want to push the GZ to it's limits. It's inherently dangerous to push the limits on any bike, as I am sure you would advise.

Anyways, I think it's awesome there is a website dedicated to this bike, haha. It has been fun so far riding it. Thanks for the advice guys, and happy riding!