Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
Badbob

Obsolete API Oil Ratings

I'm all fired up about this oil thing because just when I thought I had everything figured out and they changed the rules. All of the API rated oils recommended in the 2005 Suzuki owners manual (SF and SG) are obsolete. I did a tour around town today and their are no SG/SF rated oils available at any of the places I buy oil. There were no synthetics that did not have the "energy saving" (slipping clutch) on the API seal. I only found one mineral oil that did not have the "energy saving" API seal. Searching the internet I could only find Mobil1 MX4T, Mobil1 V-Twin and Amsoil that had SG ratings and I haven't found a local source for these. Order Mobile1 for me at AutoZone but it came up as unavailable in their computer. This upsets me because I have three bikes one of which uses as much oil as some small cars and the price of my oil has almost tripled. If I had known this was going to happen I would have stocked up.
:cuss:

Performance Ratings | Back To Top
The following Category/Status/Service list indicates the performance ratings:

SL — Current — For all automotive engines presently in use.

SJ — Current — For 2001 and older automotive engines.

SH — Obsolete — For 1996 and older engines.

SG — Obsolete — For 1993 and older engines.

SF — Obsolete — For 1988 and older engines.

SE — Obsolete — For 1979 and older engines.

SD — Obsolete — For 1971 and older engines.

SC — Obsolete — For 1967 and older engines.

SB — Obsolete — For older engines.

SA — Obsolete — For older engines.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
Badbob

I fond this over on the adventure riders forum. It is a response from Shell to a question about using Rotella oil in motorcycles. They sell this at WalMart.

Quote:
Mr. xxxxxxx,

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry, and thanks for
using Shell products. (and my apologies for the delay in responding)

ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 and ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 are universal
oils, meeting needs of many 4-stroke gasoline as well as most diesel
engines. They have performance credentials (API Service Categories SL
and CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS) for lubricating both kinds of engines. Consequently,
ROTELLA T can be a good choice for four-stroke motorcycle/ATV engines.

It's best to consult your owner's manual for recommended oil quality. If
your engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting any of these API Service
Categories; CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS, and/or SH, SJ, and SL,
or any earlier but obsolete category, then ROTELLA T may be a good
choice.

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many
passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of
ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often
recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That
can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet
clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content.
Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as
well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines)
extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that
contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil
meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ash
content to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T exceeds this limit. Oil ash
contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

Best Regards,

Greg Raley=20
Tel: +1 281 544 8621=20
Email: Gregory.Raley@shell.com=20
Internet: www.shell.com
Old 01-16-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
Gadzooks Mike

About 2 months ago, I bought a couple of quarts of Mobil1 MX4T at WalMart. It wasn't over by the oils, but in the motorcycle section of the local Super WalMart. Right next to the helmets and Pig Spit. Haven't looked lately though. What's up with this, anyway? Looks like those AmsOil dealers might make some decent money in the near future, huh?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
About 2 months ago, I bought a couple of quarts of Mobil1 MX4T at WalMart. It wasn't over by the oils, but in the motorcycle section of the local Super WalMart. Right next to the helmets and Pig Spit.
We have three Super WalMart stores here none of them have a motorcycle section or MX4T although they do carry a small selection of oil filters. I checked the last one in the area yesterday. I did find four brands that did not have the energy saving on the API seal. three were mineral oils and one was synthetic. Any of these should work in a GZ250. I pick up a gallon of the Rotella Synthetic to try. Maybe I should ask about special ordering it. I get other thing from them that they do not keep in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
What's up with this, anyway? Looks like those AmsOil dealers might make some decent money in the near future, huh?
As far as I have been able to find out and I'm no expert. The new API Rating is in part due to damage caused to catalytic converters by additives in the oil and pressure on auto manufacturers to get better fuel economy. The API Ratings are generally inclusive. That is the new ones meet or exceed all the previous ones. Normally this would not be an issue for us but this time they added friction modifiers. Normally more slippery would be a good thing but in this case this is what causes the clutch to slip.

If you don't do any hard shifting riding a GZ250 you may never see any signs of clutch slippage. I rode 170 miles Sunday without this occurring one time. I was not even sure that it was what was happening until I ran across a very good description of what it feels like you very slowly let off on the clutch instead of doing it quickly. The engine speed is slightly higher than it should be and slows as the clutch grabs hold. It never slips at any other time. Only when shifting. It can be a little unsettling in traffic.

I considered AmsOil but since I would need to order it I decided I would wait and see if I could find something else that would work.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

We are using Amsoil 10/40 in both bikes. Not motorcycle specific but still very good results in the VStrom 650. Too soon to tell with the 250. Having said that, we will be going to Amsoil motorcycle specific oil next time round. Finally found a source from another Stromer.

Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
Badbob

Replaced Oil With Rotella T Synthetic

Clutch slippage immediately began to improve. I rode it hard for about 20 miles trying to make the clutch slip and it steadily got improved until now its hard to make slip. I expected this because it took awhile after the previous oil change before I noticed something was wrong.

I'm going to put a few more miles on her and change the oil again. This should wash all the friction reducing additives out of the engine and I should be good to go after that.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Badbob

Follow Up

I'm in the second oil change using Rotella T. I still get some clutch slippage occasionally. A little to much throttle and clutching to fast will do it almost every time. It might have done this before the problem occurred. The clutch slippage continues to be less with time.

Before the switch to Rotella T I could be riding along at 60 mph in 5th gear and when I started up a steep hill the clutch would slip until I down shifted. This no longer happens. My trip to Franklin GA and the ride around Cheaha state park convinced me that the problem is pretty much fixed.