Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
merc4now

Back to basics

Hello everyone, just found the site like , as when ever I pick up a new to me bike I like to do some research, like the site so far. I've been driving motorcycles since I was 14, and had a decent share of big liter sport bikes and mid level. Honeslty I learned on a 94 Kawasaki Zephyr 550. (didn't know what kinda Gem I had back then carbs leaked a year later and I freaked aftrer two attempts at carb rebuild so I sold to bike shop for $300, {they wanted 500 for the carb work} a steal even in 97. )

So this little bike to me is kinda fun since it's so small, ofcourse I have to hold my expectations back when it comes to speed and take off as only thing I've ever driven below 500cc was a scooter and dirtbikes. Last suzuki I owned was a 03 I think Bandit 1200. Which brings me to my bargining story! I love craigslist especially the barter section people failt o realize alot of people will trade down for something they want and not always demand cash. I started with a non titled rough $100 50cc scooter I got running, traded it for a 80's bass boat and trailer (needed minor work that I could handle) sold trailer hull. TRADED the engine and controls for a 2011 ice bears 250cc three wheel trike scooter (2 wheels in back not front) Though my brother could use it but here in florida turns out you have to have either a motorcycle liscense or a trike license which my brother has neither and after finding out the mandatory class was $300 he decided against it. So I then posted it and am now the owner of a 2008 Suzuki GZ 250 with 4K miles, very clean for its year and use (was a daily driver), decked out I guess windsheld and bags?. I'm also new to cruiser style bikes so this is my first. I'll admit for the test drive I kept trying to fold my legs back and lean forward. So here am I, I figured it's a neat bike to keep around and better on gas then my 02 super hawk, and hey I basically have $300 in it before tag and title fees.

Any quirks or immedate fixes/preventive maintenance I should look at first?
PO stated neutral was a pain to find and light never came on for him (he was 2nd onwer)
I found it easily but light never does come on.
That and he said it hates the cold he's drained a battery before work a few times trying to start it,
Sucks they can't be modded for a kicker without extensive case searching and ignition upgrade.
I love small kickers.

Will post pics in daylight I know these things are only like 3K new? so do they hold a decent resale value?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Back to basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4now

Any quirks or immedate fixes/preventive maintenance I should look at first?
Hi there,

The carb is the Achilles heel of the GZ. Get some carb cleaner in the tank NOW, then add it every 3 or 4 tankfulls. You mention poor starting, so don't be afraid to use the choke when you set off every morning, then turn it off as soon as you can. Also, when the engine is HOT, use the big white knob, under the carb, to set the idle speed to 1200 to 1400 RPM.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Resell value drops off quite a bit. They are never worth $3,000 anywhere but at dealerships. $1200-$2200 is about right, and that's for almost any year.

Alan is speaking truth. Carb cleaner + we all like to add the secondary fuel filter to the gas line. It's just solving a problem before it comes up, because if you don't take these measures, it will come up. Just search the word "carb" on here and you'll see what we mean.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. We are glad to have you here. Welcome to the fun.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
mole2

Welcome to the forum from South Carolina. I'd look into changing the tires if they haven't been changed already. If they're original they're five years old now and it's due. Ride safe.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
5th_bike

Welcome to the family!!! :2tup:

Re: the neutral indicator, it could be the neutral switch, or the bulb, or the wiring. Those bulbs are funny, my L/R signal indicator bulb blew twice before I reached 4,000 miles, and the neutral light still works after more than 10,000 miles...
They're the same 3.4W bulb.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
raul10141964

use the choke for cold stare
my don't start below 60F with no choke
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
steelpix

Last week I added the fuel filter and used Tygon line. I also add fuel conditioner to every tank.