Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
robze77

Reserve tank usage.

When I fill up the tank with gas I flip the switch to reserve, but then after the fill up put it back to the on position. Do I need to run the fuel out of the reserve after filling up? How does this work? I don't want to end up leaving a lot of stale gas in my tank forever. What is the correct procedure?
O_o

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Reserve tank usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robze77
When I fill up the tank with gas I flip the switch to reserve, but then after the fill up put it back to the on position. Do I need to run the fuel out of the reserve after filling up? How does this work? I don't want to end up leaving a lot of stale gas in my tank forever. What is the correct procedure?
O_o
No need to do that.You can leave it at "on" Reserve is just a shorter tube on the petcock to pick up remaining fuel in the tank when you switch to "Res". There is only one tank & the new fuel get mixed with the old fuel every time you fill up.
:cool:

Old 08-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I concur.

It's good to mix it up every now and then, but when every time you slush new gas into the mix, you're already mixing whatever is in the bottom with the new stuff.

And while on the topic, be sure to use some sort of carb cleaner every tank or three, just to make sure you maintain a clean working environment. The majority of issues with the GZ are because of the carb getting gummed up.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
mrlmd1

There is no separate reserve tank, separate from a main fuel tank. The fuel petcock (pic attached) has 2 different length tubes attached to it. The longer one is for the RUN position, the shorter one, closer to the bottom of the tank, is for the RESERVE position. It just lets you drain a little more fuel out of the bottom of the tank. That is where all the solid contaminating junk, like rust, etc, may be sitting, so keep your tank clean by just riding your bike and don't store it away for an extended period with an empty or half filled tank of gas.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
steelpix

Add a gas filter