Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
SWASHBUCKLER

Trike a GZ-250 lately?

Just wondering if anyone out there has triked a GZ? We're thinking about trying it because my wife loves to ride but can't handle the height and weight of the GZ-250. We tried everything and this is our last resort.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Cathy

Qasual:

How tall and how much does she weigh. I can't see how the weight and height of the GZ would even be a problem. My girlfriend Cathy is 5'2" 96lbs and can't fight out of a wet paper bag but is fine. I would recommend some sort of riding school where she is trained by a professional and taught how to handle the bike while upright and balance. The bike does all the work once moving and can be easily steered with with one finger.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Find a good riding school. A really good riding school with experienced instructors. Also pick up a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Both of you read it cover to cover. I thought I was a fairly decent rider until I did both of these suggestions. A newbie has an easy time of it with proper instruction compared to an old guy with bad unsafe habits that need to be broken first. Training is the best life insurance you will ever buy and it is a one time expense.
Lynda had never ridden a bike when she bought her GZ. We went to classes together. She became an exceptional rider and 2 seasons later bought a M-50(800cc) V-twin. Rode it for 3 seasons. She is about 5' 3" so the GZ fit like a glove.
As for triking a GZ I would have serious thoughts about the small engine and the added weight involved.
My personal experience tells me never to learn from a friend or spouse and never teach a friend or spouse. You are too emotionally involved.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
SWASHBUCKLER

Well you know she isn't 5' or 3", she's 4'8" and we are in our late 50s. Everyone seems to think that height difference between 5' and a few inches and several inches under 5' isn't a big deal but it is a huge difference! Her inseam is probably under 27" and with the width of the seat and tank it makes it very difficult for her to manage reaching the ground. We altered the bike a couple of years ago to a point where she can barely reach the ground with high soled bike shoes. We lowered the front forks a bit and put shorter shocks on it. For safety sake, we are checking out the triking option. Riding schools are of no use when a motorcycle is TOO big for someone to handle. So, all that being said...you guys know anyone under 5' riding one of them?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
grasshopper

I understand your problem. I have a sister in law that height and about 80 pounds in her early 30's. I had her try to ride my gz250 last Christmas and she did not feel as if she could control it and was tippy toed on it. she felt very unsafe. I seen on ebay a company selling a bolt on trike kit but they do not offer the tires and fenders with the kit. they sell them separately . pretty high cost in my opinion but still cheaper than buying a trike. you might want to check that out. I hope you are able to work something out for her. good luck and ride safe.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
Cathy

Qasual - I see what you mean but honestly that does not mean it is unridable and too big. On a different bike I am on the tip of my toes and barely can push the thing backwards while on top of it. That may not be the exact situation here but there are ways around it, I had to assume the Captain Morgan stance at lights now. Another thing that should be tried is to actually sit on a different bike, the Rebel has a seat height of 26.3" if I remember correctly and also has a tear shaped gas tank which makes it easier to mount.

I am good friends with instructors from multiple schools that use the Marauder as their learning bikes and they know every detail about them, even if it is not the learning tips and tricks around it. They might know how to alter it.

Small tippit here but when at a red light it is usually right foot up on the brake and left foot holding you up with the bike at an angle. A scooch of the bum you can pretty much be near up right so less weight is applied on the leg. But main idea is to have the brakes covered for safety sake.

I wish you best of luck and apologize for my shotty typing as it has been done on a mobile phone. Oh and WELCOME !
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
SWASHBUCKLER

The weight of the bike and (due to our age) lack of flexibility makes it hard to manage. Tip toe stopping is not safe. Unless you are actually her size you can't imagine the difficultness of the ride. People even slightly taller than her can manage the size of the bike because leg and arm length is suitable. I had to put other handlebars on her bike so it didn't pull her off the seat when she made a turn. Triking is going to be our only option I think. Going to a bigger heaver bike isn't going to work. We could go to the best instructor on earth and it's not going to make her able to manage handling a bike that's too big for her size.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Cathy

Qasual:
I'm sorry, the Rebel is another 250cc motorcycle pretty much exactly the same so not bigger at all. It's shorter and have a more accommodating gas tank, that is before any alterations as well. So possibly shortened at the struts much make it perfect and hopefully both feet will touch the ground to support the bike.

I personally have to do a captain morgan stop because the bike is to tall for me as well so I try my best to put my feet and someones else shoes. I'll ponder on this all day and hopefully we at this forum can help !
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

That does sound like a tough problem to solve. I also can relate to the older age and flexibility thing.
Hmm, have you ever looked at an MP3. They won't fall over but you may when checking out the price. 2 wheels up front that allow leaning in the curves but can be locked up to stand upright at a stop. Quite an engineering feat but rather complex. They are more scooter than motorcycle but seem to handle well from what I have read online. Check it out.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

BurkBuilds did some fancy work on a Vulcan 900. This thread might be helpful:
http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showt...ighlight=trike

Unfortunately the photo of this one has a bad link...

Quimrider also found a link to an older one: