Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-21-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
GWIFF

2007 GZ250 Difficult to turn engine

Hey everyone,

I tried using the search function but I could not find anything so I figured I would try posting.

Bought a 2007 GZ250 about a month ago and it ran at the time but the starter didn't work and the guy didn't know why, I am mechanically inclined and have worked on lots of stuff so I figured this would be a quick flip, and if not, I would ride it. Fast forward a month and I have rebuilt the carb, had to buy a new starter relay, and bought a new battery.

Still doesn't want to turn the engine. Checked all the electrical stuff with my multimeter and had a second person check everything. My battery is good, power is getting to the starter, and the starter itself is good.

So after going through everything I tried to do something. I took off the crankcase cover and held on the little gear that the starter turns, to check and see if that did anything. And low and behold, the starter turns the engine without the crankcase cover on. Tried this with and without the spark plug in. good compression and spark and everything.

So, my question, does anyone have a solution for why a load is being put on the flywheel by the piece that is inside the crankcase, when I am trying to start the engine? Shouldn't this type of thing only happen when the engine is already running? The magnets in the flywheel will spin around the coils of wire and produce potential energy, but it shouldn't be making it so hard to start unless there is something that already drawing current from the get-go when the crankcase is assembled.

Please let me know if you have any solutions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190521_202218.jpg (92.3 KB, 12 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads