Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
i missed my MSF class/rain is suck

i went to the first night of class, from 6-10pm. left at 10, went straight to work and got off around 4am. got home at 4:30 and set my alarm for 6:45 so i could make it back to class by 7:45am. at about 10:30 i wake up and look at the clock and jump out of bed trying to figure out why my clock is lying to me and i realize i set my alarm for 6:45 PM instead of AM. i showed up there around 11 and the instructor told me i had to re-schedule, so i called the main office and to avoid having to pay the $125 again they put me on a waiting list, so if anyone else cancels or doesn't show up i can take their place.

lame.

it was pouring rain, though, so maybe i'll get lucky and it'll be sunny out next time.

on that note, i rode in the rain for the first time last night. and when i say rain, i mean RAIN. i was leaving work and it was dumping. i had a pair of cheap rain pants with a conveniently-located tear right in the crotch. when i got home and took them off it looked like i wet myself. badly. my tour master jacket kept my upper body warm and dry; i was impressed. but...

i discovered i need:
1: better rain-proof pants
2: waterproof gloves
3: spray-on leather waterproofing stuff for my boots
4: anti-fog something or other my my helmet face shield (i've heard shaving cream works great)

that said, it wasn't as miserable as i expected. i took everything reaaaaally slow, especially corners, and i didn't slide around as much as i thought i was going to.

is it worth trying to waterproof leather gloves? or just get some glove covers of some sort?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: i missed my MSF class/rain is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
is it worth trying to waterproof leather gloves? or just get some glove covers of some sort?
Compared to my first rain ride (with no rain gear at all), I think you did pretty good.

Don't think I'd worry about the gloves really. If your hands are the only thing that gets wet, then you are doing good.

Boots are a problem. Lots of water going on down there. Waterproofing usually doesn't work for heavy rain. Boot covers are about the only thing that does work.

Best advice, however, is to wait 'til the rain quits if at all possible.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
i doubt you've ever been to western washington, haha. the fun thing about the rain here is that it DOESN'T quit.

wet hands i can deal with, freezing cold numb hands are another story.

that said, i'll definitely avoid the rain as much as possible but i need to be prepared. i'll look into some waterproof gloves this weekend.

Login or Register to Remove Ads