Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Moedad

A ticking noise

I think my bike was dropped sometime before I bought it. The tip of the clutch is scratched as is the corner of the front fender, but what I'm wondering about is there is a slight ticking noise coming from the front wheel that matches the rpm of the wheel when it rolls. It also clicks when it rolls backward but even more slightly. Doesn't seem to be anything visible rubbing, but thought I'd ask and see if there were any ideas from the experienced group here of what to look for. Can't say for sure it wasn't there before and now I'm just noticing it because I'm listening for something. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: When I had the bike serviced week before last (seven months later), I asked them to check it and the mechanic said everything was fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: D'OH...low speed drop and now (I think) a ticking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
, but now there is a slight ticking noise coming from the front wheel that matches the rpm of the wheel when it rolls. It also clicks when it rolls backward but even more slightly.
3 guesses:
If the noise changes significantly with light application of the front brake, then something in the rotor or brake is suspect.

If not:

A bent spoke or a kinked speedometer cable.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

+1 to Easy's post.

Also, just make sure that you don't have the front fender rubbing just a bit.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
Badbob

Check to make sure everything is tight as on bolts. The only time I had a ticking noise in the front the wire brace that holds the speedometer cable out of the wheel was loose. It snagged a spoke and mangled the cable before I got home. It didn't hurt the spokes at all.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Moedad

Everything seems to be tight, spokes and bolt-wise. The fender isn't rubbing anywhere. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the noise when I apply the front brake lightly, and the speedometer cable runs a nice and clean swoop down through the clip and straight into the speedometer gear housing. I'm going to try and figure a way to lift the front wheel so I can turn it and get right down where I can pinpoint the noise better. I'll keep you posted in the troubleshooting section when I've done that. Thanks, guys.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You may have torqued the wheel bearing and it may be out of true...

I don't really know but it's a thought.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
You may have torqued the wheel bearing and it may be out of true...

I don't really know but it's a thought.
I hope it's not that.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
IndyKTM

I love the Beer Fest at the circle though I haven't enjoyed it in about 6 years. So much beer it's flowing in the gutters. Seriously. Try a malt at that soda shop on the circle if you get a chance. As for the ticking, look at the rotor mount bolts and see if there is any wear on the heads, which would indicate it's rubbing on something. Also, a good way to raise the front end is use a car jack to raise the bike by pressing up on the frame just below the engine and to the left of the exhaust. Then slide a jack holder under each of the peg mounts and the bike will be rock steady.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKTM
Try a malt at that soda shop on the circle if you get a chance.
Watson's. Love that place. Did you used to live out here?

Quote:
As for the ticking, look at the rotor mount bolts and see if there is any wear on the heads, which would indicate it's rubbing on something.
I'll look more closely at them, thanks.

Quote:
Also, a good way to raise the front end is use a car jack to raise the bike by pressing up on the frame just below the engine and to the left of the exhaust. Then slide a jack holder under each of the peg mounts and the bike will be rock steady.
That's pretty much what I ended up doing. The ticking definitely comes from the hub/brake area, and once I could spin the wheel, I noticed the ticking was more frequent than being timed with the rpms of the wheel. It hasn't gotten more frequent than it was, I just have a better sense of it now. I haven't posted an update in the Troubleshooting section because I don't have much to report on yet.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Sarris

Ticking

I had a ticking noise after I had the front tire changed. I discovered that the technician had left the speedo cable nut loose and the cable was not fully engaged. I tighted it up and voila, no more ticking!

Good luck.

:cool: