Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
buud

Hunting for first gear

Read the post by New Guy regarding the search for first gear when coming to a stop.

I seem to be getting worse; most of the time I down shift and shoot for first gear just before coming to a complete stop. At standstill I check for first, am in gear, but not sure which gear in all cases. Some times I start out in second and on occasion I do third...in which case, do a quick down shift and take what I can get in traffic.

Since the basic riding course, I have 100 miles on a 2007 2500 mile bike which runs very well, so its definitely what we used to call operator error. I wonder if I'm developing a bad habit that I'm not aware of... I engage the clutch slightly before starting up and am in gear, just seem to have a time making sure I'm in first.

Sometimes I notice that engaging slightly will let it slide into first with a "a chunk". Have also tried reaching up to neutral and then to first, this works well if I can get it done.

All comments on New Guy's post were appreciated and I would be grateful for any further tips for another new guy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads