Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Whole Foods...

...I was out of town all week, and will be again this week, so I figured I better get some riding in this weekend, lest my skills regress. I really didn't have any place I needed to go so I had to think up some excuses for rides.

Yesterday I rode over to the local theater I used to be on the board of to watch Act I of their current production. Today, I decided to see what the Whole Foods fuss is about (I'd never been, but it's like #14 on the list of "Stuff White People Like." Coffee being #1, I figure the guy knows of whence he speaks.)

WF is about 18 miles one-way, and is a decent mix of 40-60 mph backroads with some city (traffic-light) driving. It also has a 1.5 mile stretch of near freeway that may or may not be legal for me to be on depending on one's legal acumen.

My wife had told me about the place - I asked her if she needed anything. Apparently they are the only place that carries Yorkshire tea, so I had an actual assignment. I put my trusty green cargo net on the back to secure my potential English Breakfast purchase.

For longer rides, I suit up in full gear, including padded, armored pants. It was about 75-80 today - real nice - a beautiful day to be riding for no particular reason. Ride down was fine. I'm just shy of 500 miles and I'm getting a lot more comfortable on the bike, expecially at speed and in traffic. Stopping at longer lights is a bit warm with the gear, but I flip up my face shield and zip down the jacket until I get going again. Lights are good nose scratching stations as well.

Got her up to about 65 on the freeway stretch - tried hunching down racing bike style. Reduced wind buffeting, but I don't think it helped my speed at all. Passing a lot more cars now than when I was a complete newb. Couple of sports cars were playing a little cat and mouse on the backroads, but nothing too serious.

Got to the WF without incident, parked in the lot, shed helmet and gloves and headed in for the Yorkshire. They had to have at least 25 kinds of tea in the place, but no sign of Yorkshire. There was a lady stocking that section and she told me they were "out." I found some Scottish Breakfast stuff with an English sounding name (harod something-or-other-gate.) Took a look at what they had for lunch. Tons of stuff, but it all looked like cafeteria food to me - settled on some sushi - wasn't that great. Prices were sky high too. I didn't really check the rest of the place out, I guess I'm not that into grocery stores. Paid for my box of imported tea bags and headed back.

Had one dicey moment about a block from the house. Coming off a steep hill, making a left turn, I down shifted all the way to first. I let the clutch out when I was turning and still moving at a decent clip. The engine braking skidded the back(?) tire, but I instinctively pulled the clutch back in before I dumped myself. I'll have to watch out for that. Probably should have only downshifted to third. Finished up at about 490 miles.

One more off the Grocery Stores I Must Visit Before I Die list.

Login or Register to Remove Ads