Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Let Bike sit for weeks, now seems fuel starved

I have my GZ up for sale and I'm mainly riding my other bike, bt I've tried to ride the GZ every once in a while to keep it ridable. I decided today was going to be "GZ day", I'm not real sure how long it's been, but it could be as much as a month.

The bike was a little hard to start, but once started, couldn't seem to get over the initial roughness. I had to leave the choke on full and let it warm up for a very long time before I could turn the throttle without stalling it. I debated taking it at all, but I was thinking, if I don't take it out, things will probably only get worse, so I decided to go for it. I used a bit more of the foot brake and used the throttle to keep the revs artificially high when I was slowing or stopping. Bike ran roughly al the way to work, stalled a couple of times I let off the throttle. At full throttle, I was able to get it up to 55 max, but it seemed to be starved for gas.

When I first got it started, with the choke full on, the engine would have high revs for just a few seconds and then drop to a rough, uneven idle. It almost seemed like the plug wasn't firing every time. I tried taking the choke down, but it really had trouble with less or no choke. (I also messed with the choke when underway, to see if it would carburate better at speed withno choke (couldn't really tell one way or the other - didn't seem to have more power with the choke off, but when it is going at high revs, it at least wouldn't stall.)

I dumped a bit of carb cleaner in it (had close to a full tank of gas) just for fun.

Anybody got any suggestions that a mechanical novice could try? Should I just try to ride it out? I did make it to work. Now I got to make it back home...

Login or Register to Remove Ads