Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
tzettler87

upgrading bikes? m50, warrior

I don't have much experience with big bikes as my gz250 is my first bike. I was curious what exactly makes a large displacement bike dangerous to new riders? Is it the power? the weight? I'm hoping to get a new bike towards the end of this summer that I can tour on, (maybe 6 hours in the saddle per day max) but at the same time is not cumbersome to drive around town two up. I'm interested in the m50 but some forums act like it wont handle a long day of two up riding. I'm not sure if that is due to it over working the engine or if its just uncomfortable to ride for several hours.

I also like the yamaha warrior. Mostly I like that it has plenty of power to do anything I need it to do. This being said, is this two much power for a second bike (when the first was the gz250) or do people not recommend large bikes like that cause they are hard to learn what I have and am currently learning from my gz. I'm not so much concerned with gas mileage or fuel range since main concern is trying to get a bike with plenty of power that is light as possible (excluding sport bikes- not particularly interested.)

I've also heard that lighter bikes are more nimble and I love that about the gz. It's so manageable cause it weighs almost nothing in comparison to a big bike. This makes me think I should probably get the smallest bike possible that will do the job. All this being said, I guess what I really wanna know is:

1. What makes a large bike dangerous to new riders? If you already have the skills required to operate a bike is it significantly less dangerous?

2. Does anyone know if a m50 would make a good around town but also two up (65-75mph) bike that isn't to cumbersome around town?

Login or Register to Remove Ads