Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
dannylightning

idle speed thread.

after a discussion about idle speed in one of my post a few weeks ago that was originally started about something else but idle speed got brought up i leaned one important thing. if you have your one cylinder bike set to idle low idle it will put a lot of extra strain on the motor witch is no good at all. that is some important info for any one who does not know that.. i did not!! the manual calls for right around 1200 rpm idle sped but with no tachometer its a bit hard to judge

i do have one more question about the idle speed on this bike, if the idle speed is set higher will it increase performance and how soon your bike runs out of torque between each gear. here is a video of how my idle speed is set now, at this speed it seems to preform much, much better

[youtube:1d6rylul]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmcHctVFiY[/youtube:1d6rylul].

this sounds a little fast to me but i notice much better acceleration with the idle around this speed so i think it will keep it right where it is, when i had the idle set at a lower speed (not all that much lower) it would seem to run out of juice/torque in each gear a lot sooner and when it seemed to want to run out of juice/torque (not want to go any faster in that gear) if i gave it a little more throttle it would hit he power band for a split second and than i would halve to shift. (that was driving at normal speed). now at normal speed it seems to have more acceleration and torque, i do not halve to shift as soon. first gear would run out of torque right around 10 miles per hour. second would run out right around 20 miles per hours. basically every 10 miles per hour i would have to shift but not any more

when trying to speed up as fast as possible i noticed now my shift points are much further apart. it seemed to gain a additional 7-10 mph in each gear before i would halve to shift for example i pushed 2nd gear up to just over 30 mph compared to the lower idle speed i would halve to shift into 3rd right at 20 miles per hour. i pushed 3rd gear to over 40mph when before i had to shift out of 3rd right about 30 mph..

i never thought idle speed would make much difference in performance but it did on my bike. i am wondering if i am just crazy or if any one else had had a similar experience. i was kind of disappointed with the bike cus i thought it was a bit slow (besides that i love the bike), now it feels quite fast after only adjusting the idle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads