Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #11

Re: Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operat

Thank you for the responses. Especially from Gz Rider, your answers really cleared things up.

Today was my third time riding in a sem-controlled environment (quiet street or parking lot) and I picked up a better understanding of the clutch from operating it.

Thanks to the input from this forum I WILL:
1. Sign up for the MSF Course (I looked at the local MSF website today but none of their classes fit my schedule yet)
2. Read Proficient Motorcycling (I looked it up at my local library and they are all loaned out, but I will get it when there is one free)
3. Fully read the manual

UNTIL THEN... Please tolerate my newbie questions until I have been afforded the opportunity to take/read those trainings.

So here is my newest newbie question I formulated today:

A) How can I prevent the engine from turning off when I stop for a stop sign or red light?

Today I did the following to stop: Pull in clutch, shift from second gear to first, release clutch, let go of throttle, brake, stop. The engine turned off after I stopped and my speedometer went to zero.

I was able to keep the engine on during a stop when I did the following: Pull in clutch, shift from second gear to first, release clutch, let go of throttle, brake, stop, pull clutch, engage throttle gently while brake is still on (still stopped), then I released clutch to drive off again. Is this the right way to do it? Am I supposed to be pulling on the clutch, brake, and engaging the throttle gently during a full stop to stop the engine from shutting down? If so, this doesn't seem very efficient...

HELP!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads