Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #11
alantf

Re: At the mechanics shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
At the shop he tested the battery with a tester while the bike was running, and the battery was fine. I turned of the bike and i was able to start it with no problem. He said that it must be rectifier.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but............The bike wouldn't start, but started with the car battery. This points to bike electric problem. At workshop, mechanic tested battery, & it was now fine. That means that the charging circuit charged the battery on the way home. So how could the rectifier be faulty? Also, you say he tested the battery with the engine running. That means that the battery was on the bike. From your description, it seems more likely that it's a faulty battery. You need to take the battery off the bike, fully charge it, let it sit (possibly overnight) then take it to someone who can do a proper volt drop test on it.

Even though he said the battery was fine, I bet he just used a voltmeter. This would just show that the battery had taken a charge while you were riding (and hence rectifier problem not possible) but couldn't show that the battery could hold that charge for any length of time.

Jonathan.... Over here, the bikes are all fitted with lights that are always on, but that law only came in, in Europe, in the last few years. Dunno what year exactly, but all the 9 or 10 year old bikes that I see, still have a light switch.

Login or Register to Remove Ads