Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 AM   #11
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron
Does anyone ever fail the MSF course?
When I took it too weekends ago there was one guy that failed. I didn't get to see what he did wrong as he was in line right behind me. I was always riding to the next part of the test when it was his turn, so I couldn't watch. I know it wasn't because he dropped it. No one dropped thier bike in the class. He did as well as I did during the practices, so I don't understand what happened.

*edited for content.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2008, 08:54 AM   #12
Jenny

Quote:
I took it last year and everyone passed. I rode out and watched them this year because I had a friend taking it. Everyone passed. One lady dropped the bike during the test and she got to do it over and passed. I suppose thats still better than her riding on a permit and never getting any training. I was just curious about whether anyone ever fails.
Yes, people do. They almost dropped me from the class. They held me over lunch on the first day and had me re-do two things. When I was done they said, "Ok, you can stay in the class." I was freaked. I hadn't realized I'd been close to being dropped. They told me that they have dropped people from the class and they have also failed people and let them practice at home then come back and re-test at no additional charge a few weeks later. I chat regularly with a woman online who was flunked from the class and had to re-take it.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
I would imagine that depends on several things:
1) Where the course is given.
2) Who the instructor is.
3) Whether or not "passing" really means anything. I would hope that places where it allows you to skip tests at the DMV, they would be a little more strict.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Yes, but...

...you have to be pretty bad. We had two people fail. One guy dumped the bike o the swerve (OUT!) and the other was a gal who had dropped the bike numerous times, didn't do the "box" well an didn't do the stop. If you're halfway decent you should pass. So 2 out of 12 in our group failed. A few in the other 12 were asked to leave or left on their own. I think one had nevr ridden a bicycle.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
Jenny

Re: Yes, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
...you have to be pretty bad. We had two people fail. One guy dumped the bike o the swerve (OUT!) and the other was a gal who had dropped the bike numerous times, didn't do the "box" well an didn't do the stop. If you're halfway decent you should pass. So 2 out of 12 in our group failed. A few in the other 12 were asked to leave or left on their own. I think one had nevr ridden a bicycle.
Only one person in your class had never ridden a bike? The class is advertised as being for people who haven't ever ridden or people who want to hone their skills (or people who had so many tickets they need it to help lower their insurance). At least the one here in northern New York and the one I looked at in Tucson were. There were a few of us that hadn't ever ridden a bike, and it's planned starting from, here's how you turn a bike on.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Bicycle...

...she had never ridden a *bicycle*. About half our group, maybe more, had never ridden a motorcycle. (And some of us had less than 500 miles.) We started from scratch "Here's how you sit on it."
Old 08-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #17
Jenny

Re: Bicycle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
...she had never ridden a *bicycle*. About half our group, maybe more, had never ridden a motorcycle. (And some of us had less than 500 miles.) We started from scratch "Here's how you sit on it."
Whoops! My brain froze right over the *bicycle* part and changed it to bike which changed it to motorcycle!