Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Downshifting Problem

They are very similar and depends on what store you go into.

At Autozone/Advance, make sure you ask for "motorcycle oil". Any synthetic motorcycle oil will work just fine. Make sure you don't slip up and buy 2-stroke oil.

If you choose to use automotive oil, which is cheaper and works just as well, you have to actually read the back of the label to ensure that you don't get an oil with "ENERGY CONSERVING" listed as one of it's attributes. These friction inhibiting oils have caused clutch slipping in some bikes. In the little circle that lists it's API quality or whatever, it will say it all capital letters.

If there is any doubt, get Motorcycle oil. I don't know of any motorcycle oils with firction inhibitors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
Sarris

The friction inhibitor Jonathan mentioned is usually graphite. It WILL make your clutch slip. I have a pal that did that and it took 3 oil changes at get that crap out, so pay attention to the label. Motorcycle oil is a safer buy IMHO.

:2tup:
Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
RichInFla

Okay, well, around the corner is the local "Auto Zone", where I get stuff for my "other" vehicles, so I guess I'll head there and get "motorcycle oil"..."synthetic"...."4 stroke ??"

Do I really have to change the O-ring again ?? Sorry, just asking again...

Okay y'all, so which brand again ?? (this ought to get it started !!).

Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
Badbob

If my memory serves me right, the owners manual mentions something about down shifting into first when you go below 10 mph. The is while your still moving. If you don't do this then the transmission isn't turning and the gears don't sync. Giving it a little clutch while applying light downward pressure to the shift lever will drop it right in to the next lower gear. Repeat as necessary. With practice this become so automatic that you will hardly notice you are doing it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Also available at Walmart for a hair over $5 a quart.

Buy two.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #16
RichInFla

Got one of them there Wal-marts down the street as well. Will check that out too.

As for Bad Bob's comments, it's pretty much right on the money with my experience. If I'm coming to a stop sign, I downshift and can feel it "clunk" into first as I downshit (oops, downshift), but if I have to break suddenly like coming to a red light, I have to shift while "stationary", and that's when sometimes going from 2nd to 1st is the issue.

Can't wait to try the "let the clutch out a little" theory (okay, it's not a theory to y'all, but to me it's just a new process !!)

Thanks again !!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
RichInFla

Y'all are awesome !! Ran into the same problem today on my morning ride. Had to stop for a light turning red and didn't have time to downshift. Once again, got stuck in neutral. Let out the clutch just a little bit, tapped down, and "clunk", it went into first. Thanks for the tip !! :2tup:
Old 09-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Badbob

I should also point out that the GZ250 has lots of low end torque and can easily start in second gear. Just a little more gas and a little easier on the clutch and away she goes. This works even on mild hills and might work on a steep one if your skilled enough. It helps if you know what gear your in when you stop.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #19
RichInFla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
I should also point out that the GZ250 has lots of low end torque and can easily start in second gear. Just a little more gas and a little easier on the clutch and away she goes. This works even on mild hills and might work on a steep one if your skilled enough. It helps if you know what gear your in when you stop.
Yeah, I ended up doing that a couple of times, starting in 2nd. Luckily, no hills here on the coast. Still counting in my head when I stop...4th...3rd...2nd...etc...but I got it into first !! whoo hooo